Jump to content


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.


Power supply cables too short

  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 panthersfan25


  • Members
  • 38 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ohio
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 17 February 2015 - 12:14 PM

Hello All,


I have a Lenovo thinkserver that needs the power supply replaced.  I tried ordering a 650w replacement, but I am running into an issue, the motherboard has a 24-pin main connector, 4-pin cpu connector and a 8-pin power connector (I believe it is another board power, not PCIE power) the PSU I ordered has the 4-pin power and 8-pin power on the same run and is not long enough to reach each connector (only about 4" and I need 6-7") can I splice these cables and add extra length to them without the fear of serious consequences or does anyone now where I can find a power supply with a 4-pin and 8-pin connector on separate runs?




BC AdBot (Login to Remove)


#2 krisisforyou


  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:US
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 17 February 2015 - 12:19 PM

I would suggest against the splicing thing, but if you just need the cables longer you can buy extention cables with male-to-female ends for like a couple bucks. 8 or 4 pin. Real cheap. Amazon.

#3 dc3


    Bleeping Treehugger

  • Members
  • 30,714 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Foothills of Northern Ca.
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 17 February 2015 - 12:42 PM

If you have soldering skills and the correct gauge wire, then sure.  I would suggest using shrink tube to seal the solder joints.


If you are a novice to soldering, then I would suggest purchasing extensions to add the needed length.  You can purchase extension kits at Newegg with the links below.





Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.





#4 Guest_Kaosu_*


  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2015 - 12:58 PM

I agree with the opinion to use extension cables rather than trying to modify the power supply. Modifying the power supply could cause more issues than it is worth, creates a needless level of uncertainty, voids your warranty, and can easily get you fired if you're doing this at work. Given all of this, a $5 or less investment seems like it would be worth the added peace of mind.

Edited by Kaosu, 17 February 2015 - 12:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users