Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot boot into Windows, I keep getting 'reboot and select proper boot device..

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 curlykale3

curlykale3

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 17 February 2015 - 11:53 AM

Hi, I cannot boot into Windows, I keep getting 'reboot and select proper boot device...' Windows 7 was working but I connected two hard drives for backup which had previously been connected and were working.
Initially, I started getting an MBR message on booting up, saying error 1. I disconnected the two hard drives so that only the SSD with windows was connected. Now I get that 'reboot and select...' The drive cannot be seen in the bios? Any ideas please?

Windows is on a 256GB Crucial SSD. AHCI was enabled. The mobo is an Asus P8Z77-V LX2
and it's a core i5 CPU. Thanks for reading....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 17 February 2015 - 12:12 PM

You've checked the BIOS boot options to ensure that the SSD is the first boot device enabled?

Louis

#3 curlykale3

curlykale3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2015 - 12:35 PM

The drive can't be seen in the bios. I tried an older sata drive with a corrupted
version of Windows and it sees it.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 17 February 2015 - 12:56 PM

You posted that "Windows was working".  This was with the SSD?

Check your connections.

It doesn't matter what the boot order is in this case.  Hypothetically, if your first device is your DVD drive, the second is a mass storage device (second hdd/ssd), and the ssd with windows installed on it.  If there isn't a bootable disk in the DVD drive the boot order will sequentially go through the boot devices until it finds the operating system.  If it can't find the operating system you will receive the message you are seeing.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 curlykale3

curlykale3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2015 - 02:17 PM

It's a faulty SSD!  I took out the SSD and put it into an external drive caddy. I connected it up to another pc but it couldn't be read. I connected it up to a laptop and again, it couldn't be read, so I ordered a new one. While I was typing, it came to life. I put it back into the PC and BAM! Up and running again. At least I'll be able to take anything off that I need. A new install on a new drive it is. Thanks for the interest and advice!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users