Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer help forum: Black Screen of Death Help!!

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 mrdreamers4u

mrdreamers4u

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 17 February 2015 - 10:48 AM

Windows 7 ultimate 64bit with 3 internal hard drives ubuntu 14.04 and windows 8, 8 gigs of ram, intel core™ i7-3770 cpu @ 3.40 GHz

I was following somewhere on here how to change fonts on my windows 7 ultimate 64bit and did it through personalize>windows color>advanced and after i did i logged out then back in to see changes but i got a black screen with only my cursor i tried going to safe mode and doing a system restore (because i created a system restore point just in-case this happened) but that did not work and i tried last know configuration which did not work either so what else can i do to fix this?
Thank You in advanced 
BTW i can't go back into any safe modes and i tried all knids of scans on command prompt like "chkdsk /f/r" which said it could not fix all of the problems and SFC /Scannow which came out fine still no dice please help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 17 February 2015 - 11:54 AM

Same topic posted at http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/361551-help-bsod.html .

Posting the same topic at several forums may SEEM like a good idea, but it's not, IMO.  The suggestions/responses will vary by person...and may ultimately conflict or just be poor advice from womeone with limited knowledge who decided to post to a topic in that forum.

I suggest that you pursue the topic at Sevenforums to completion...rather than try the shotgun approach to resolving system issues.  If that forum cannot resolve your issues...then that would be the time to attempt resolution here or another computer forum.

Louis

#3 mrdreamers4u

mrdreamers4u
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2015 - 12:57 PM

Same topic posted at http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/361551-help-bsod.html .

Posting the same topic at several forums may SEEM like a good idea, but it's not, IMO.  The suggestions/responses will vary by person...and may ultimately conflict or just be poor advice from womeone with limited knowledge who decided to post to a topic in that forum.

I suggest that you pursue the topic at Sevenforums to completion...rather than try the shotgun approach to resolving system issues.  If that forum cannot resolve your issues...then that would be the time to attempt resolution here or another computer forum.

Louis

well i do know about computers but new to this issue i believe its been over looked there because i had no responses so that's why i came here, so how long should i wait in your mind till i come here for um help?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 17 February 2015 - 01:21 PM

First of all, I agree with Louis completely.  I've found myself in a situation like this trying to help only to start seeing things that weren't part of the original problem and eventually found that the member I was trying to help was getting help from another website.  This was not only confusing, it caused other problems and delayed the repair of the computer.

The Windows Seven Forums is a popular website, so you may have to wait a couple of days for a response.  Your topic was posted there yesterday, I would suggest waiting at least another day.

I would like to ask a few question.  You posted

did it through personalize>windows color>advanced
.  What exactly did you do in the advanced settings?

What application were you trying to change the font in?

Did you try to use any other restore points?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 mrdreamers4u

mrdreamers4u
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2015 - 01:40 PM

First of all, I agree with Louis completely.  I've found myself in a situation like this trying to help only to start seeing things that weren't part of the original problem and eventually found that the member I was trying to help was getting help from another website.  This was not only confusing, it caused other problems and delayed the repair of the computer.

The Windows Seven Forums is a popular website, so you may have to wait a couple of days for a response.  Your topic was posted there yesterday, I would suggest waiting at least another day.

I would like to ask a few question.  You posted

did it through personalize>windows color>advanced
.  What exactly did you do in the advanced settings?

What application were you trying to change the font in?

Did you try to use any other restore points?

In the advanced settings i just changed the system fonts on like the icons and a few others like menu titles and such.

i was using the windows 7 itself to make changes i did not use any 3rd party apps.

i made a restore point right before making the changes (like i always do) but when the BSOD happened i obviously could not access the windows so i went into safe mode to restore from there but it did not work and now it won't go into safe mode any more, ive tried ctrl-alt-delete but nothing tho i can access sticky keys by hitting the shift 5 times but clicking yes or no does nothing either.

btw i love trouble shooting and even making mistakes its how i learn ive been doing this for many years and i thank you for your both concern but i believe more help the better and im better at consuming much knowledge then little of it, my passion is computers and anything to do with eletronics, the more we come together and collaborate the better and smarter and stronger we become.

Remember knowledge is power ;)  

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 17 February 2015 - 01:59 PM

I've already explained my stance on this, and I will not change my mind.

Knowledge may be power, but at who's' expense in this case?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 mrdreamers4u

mrdreamers4u
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2015 - 02:20 PM

TY for your response ill stick with your suggestions and hope to resolve it in 7fourm and wait another day hopefully ill get this solved :) 

#8 mrdreamers4u

mrdreamers4u
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2015 - 08:44 AM

so far i have had no luck and no helpful responses from sevenfourm can anyone help please?

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 19 February 2015 - 11:10 AM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

#10 mrdreamers4u

mrdreamers4u
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2015 - 12:36 PM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

How am i suppose to do that if i have a black screen?

Or can i use another one of my internal HD?

#11 fredmerv12

fredmerv12

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 19 February 2015 - 12:42 PM

If your able to get into safe mode, then try it from there. 

#12 mrdreamers4u

mrdreamers4u
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2015 - 12:56 PM

If your able to get into safe mode, then try it from there. 

I can't get into safe mode either the first time i could when i tried system restore but that didn't work after that never was able to go back in just a black screen with my cursor, sticky keys is the only thing i can pop up there but that does nothing :(

#13 mrdreamers4u

mrdreamers4u
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2015 - 10:54 AM

how am i suppose to use minitoolbox with a black screen??

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 21 February 2015 - 11:07 AM

When you get the stick key window, is there a link shown? Click that and another window will open. In the address bar type C:\Windows then enter. Double click the explorer.exe file. Does this get you to a desktop?

#15 mrdreamers4u

mrdreamers4u
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2015 - 12:16 PM

When you get the stick key window, is there a link shown? Click that and another window will open. In the address bar type C:\Windows then enter. Double click the explorer.exe file. Does this get you to a desktop?

unfortunately there's no link :( 

when i do it on widows 8.1 there is.

funny thing, i got the black screen on my other hd windows 8.1 yesterday but i was able to fix it by on windows 8.1 you can hit ctrl+alt+delete and get the power button to restart and by holding shift while hitting restart you can get the menu to go into system restore which is how i fixed it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users