Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unusable RAM

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 joebeaven

joebeaven

• Members
  • 422 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 17 February 2015 - 06:24 AM

Hi,

I'm using 64 bit Windows 7 Ultimate. My motherboard is an ASRock G31M-GS R2.0. In the manual it says it can take up to 8GB (2 x 4GB) of DDR2 RAM. I recently purchased a set of 2 Kingston sticks of RAM of 4GB each. When I installed them and started up everything appears to work fine, but when I check my System Properties under "Installed memory (RAM)" it says "4.00 GB (3.19 GB usuable)". Please can someone tell me how to use the ful 8GB?

Thanks,
Joe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Kaosu_*

Guest_Kaosu_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 February 2015 - 06:44 AM

The first step I would take in this situation would be to ensure the memory modules are correctly installed. Reinstalling the memory will allow you to ensure everything is seated securely, making a proper connection with the socket on your motherboard. If a good connection isn't made between the memory module and socket, your motherboard won't be able to detect (or utilize) both modules of memory. Does your BIOS detect both memory modules installed? If not, then this further reinforces my belief that a memory module may not be properly seated.

The next step would be to troubleshoot the sockets on the motherboard to see if one has gone bad or not. To do this, simply boot your system with a single memory module installed into the first socket on your motherboard. If it boots normally and detects the memory, then do the same step with the same socket, but try the second memory module. Again, if the system boots normally, perform the same operation, but this time use socket 2. If a specific memory module fails to boot while the other one works, then the stick of memory is probably damaged. Likewise, if both memory modules work in a particular socket, but fail in another, then that socket on the motherboard is probably damaged. Below is an example of this process:

Test1: Memory module 1 installed into the first memory slot on the motherboard (Memory module 2 is not installed at all). Does the system boot and operate normally? If so...

Test2: Memory module 2 installed into the first memory slot on the motherboard (Memory module 1 is not installed at all). Does the system boot and operate normally? If so...

Test3: Memory module 1 installed into the second memory slot on the motherboard (Memory module 2 is not installed at all). Does the system boot and operate normally? If so..

Test4: Memory module 2 installed into the second memory slot on the motherboard (Memory module 1 is not installed at all). Does the system boot and operate normally?

Since you're using Windows 7 Ultimate (x64), you shouldn't have any problems using 8GB of memory. However, since the operating system will need to reserve some memory, you may see a message similar to the (3.19 GB usable). This does not mean that the memory isn't being addressed, all it means is that the operating system is reserving that much memory to operate normally. So, even when you get the full 8GB of memory to show up, it will still show a usable amount that will be slightly less than the total amount of memory installed.

Lastly, could you provide a link to the exact memory you are using?

Edited by Kaosu, 17 February 2015 - 07:18 AM.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2015 - 12:18 PM

The specifications for that motherboard list the maximum amount of RAM that can be installed is 8GB, 4GB per slot.  Out of curiosity I went to the Kingston website to see what was suggested as being compatible with this motherboard.  Oddly enough it only list 1GB and 2GB modules available for that motherboard.  I went to Crucial's website and did a search there and found the same results, 1GB and 2GB modules.

Kaosu's suggestions are sound, but the first thing I would suggest is to make sure that both modules are properly seated.  The tabs at either end of the socket need to be fully up.  If these are seated properly, switch the modules to the different sockets.

If both modules are properly seated, down load CPU-Z  and install it.  

Open CPU-Z, it will do a quick scan.  

Once the scan is complete click on the SPD tab.  You will see an image similar to the one below.

cpuz_zps250752a8.png

You can see Memory Slot Selection outlined in red, use the down arrow to switch between the two slots.

Please use the Snipping tool to create an image of each slot and post it in your topic.

Please use the Snipping Tool to copy the image, you can find this tool in Accessories under All Programs.   After you have the image you will want to go to File and click on Save As, Pictures will open with this image, when it opens give it a name and click on save .

Using the Snipping Tool to copy an image. 

To open the Snipping tool click on the Start orb, then type snipping tool in the search box.  Snipping Tool will appear above the search box, right click on it and choose Run as administrator.  

Before you open the Snipping Tool have the image you want to copy one the destop, then open the Snipping Tool.

A small white cross (+) will appear on the screen, move this to the lower left corner of the image you want to copy, press and hold the mouse and slowly move it to the right and upwards.  You will see a red rectangle form around the image, when you have the image isolated that you want, release the mouse.  

After you have the image you will go to File and click on Save As, Pictures will open with this image, when it opens give it a name then click on Save.    

You can post this image in your next post.  Just below the area where you write text in a post there is the Post button, to the right of this is More Reply Options

Post2_zpsf05c0430.png

When you click on More Relpy Options  you will see Attach Files and Browse, click on Browse, this will open Pictures on your computer, click on the image you made with the Snipping Tool, then click on Attach This File, then Add Reply.

BCreply1_zpsc36d42fc.png

Edited by hamluis, 20 February 2015 - 01:14 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 joebeaven

joebeaven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 422 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 18 February 2015 - 09:42 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried starting the computer with both sticks of RAM one at a time in each slot one at a time. Each time the computer started fine. When I checked System Properties, it said I only had 2GB of RAM. Here's the link.

I've attached the CPU-Z images.

Attached Files

Edited by joebeaven, 18 February 2015 - 09:47 AM.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2015 - 11:05 AM

There's your answer.  You have two 2GB modules installed for a total of 4GB of RAM.

Kingston has only suggested two 2GB modules for use with this motherboard.  Are either of these the modules you have installed?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 joebeaven

joebeaven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 422 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 18 February 2015 - 03:19 PM

I did have two sticks of KVR667D2N5/2G installed before I bought these. The computer was running slow, so I thought I'd upgrade to 8GB. Since the manual said it could take it I thought it would be fine.

Here's what it says of the labels of the new RAM:

Kingston KVR KVR667D2N5K2/4G
99U5316-03.A00LF K1T OF 2 3563922-8416920
1.8V ASSY IN CHINA

Kingston KVR KVR667D2N5K2/4G
99U5316-03.A00LF K1T OF 2 3563922-8417004
1.8V ASSY IN CHINA

#7 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2015 - 04:42 PM

I seem to recall an issue with that board, you may need to go into the bios and enable Memory remap in the bios. After a reboot, you should see the full amount.

EDIT: this might not work see the comment below.

Edited by zingo156, 18 February 2015 - 04:55 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#8 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 18 February 2015 - 04:47 PM

dc3

There's your answer.  You have two 2GB modules installed for a total of 4GB of RAM.

Kingston has only suggested two 2GB modules for use with this motherboard.  Are either of these the modules you have installed?

I think I may see the issue and agree with dc3: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134193

The kit you have may say 4gb on each stick however it is a "kit" so the total between the 2 sticks = 4gb. This was a tactic I had seen on a few "kits" that were sold. It certainly can be confusing.

Edited by zingo156, 18 February 2015 - 04:55 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#9 joebeaven

joebeaven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 422 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 19 February 2015 - 01:35 AM

OK, thanks. I'll return it for a refund and try to find some more.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2015 - 10:08 AM

So far, every manufacturer I've been able to ascertain the specific RAM for this motherboard it  has suggested 2GB (2 x 1GB) or 4GB (2 x 2GB).  It may well be worth calling Asrock to see what they have to say about this, and see what they suggest.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users