Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WebCam not found

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Nitin_58

Nitin_58

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 17 February 2015 - 05:07 AM

My problem is with iBall Webcam. My O.S. is windows 7 Ultimate SP1. My webcam suddenly has stopped working and I get an error  "webcam not found or is being used by another application". Also in the device manager there is an entry USB 2.0 Camera with an yellow exclamation mark. It says that there are no drivers installed for this device. I tried installing Face2Face software from iBall site, but to no avail. Also if you remove the device and reconnect it, it starts installing the drivers and gives a message that the drivers were not installed. How do I solve this problem?
Thanks in advance

Nitin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,939 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 17 February 2015 - 10:16 AM

Hello, and Welcome

Download USBdeview. It will show all devices that have been connected. Detach any USB device other than mouse, keyboard, printer, and network adapter if you have one. Delete all Vendor Specific Devices including your Webcam. Do not delete keyboard,mouse, network adapter, or printer devices and only Vendor Specific. Sometimes drivers between devices can conflict with one another. If this does not work, then the camera may be defective. Have you tried installing the camera on another computer?

#3 Nitin_58

Nitin_58
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2015 - 03:54 AM

I tried connecting it to another PC. the drivers were automatically installed and the camera worked too..

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,939 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2015 - 12:49 PM

Did you try USBdeview? Did you try attaching the Camera to a different USB port on the computer? If a desktop, try a USB port on the back. If that did not work, borrow a powered USB hub and see if the camera works. It may be drawing more power than what your computer can handle.

#5 Nitin_58

Nitin_58
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2015 - 12:56 AM

Not tried USBdeview as yet, but will try out and post back

Thanks.

#6 Nitin_58

Nitin_58
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2015 - 01:45 AM

I installed the webcam on another PC (where it worked). On checking the drivers installed, I found two drivers ksthunk.sys and usbvideo.sys. which are automatically installed when the webcam is connected. when it was connected to the original PC, it searched for the drivers unsuccessfully. Can these two drivers (probably from Microsoft) be downloaded separately and installed?. i think if I am able to install these drivers, it should work.

Nitin

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,939 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2015 - 09:40 AM

Have you tried the iBell website for a later driver? Go here. In the first dropdown box select Technology accessories > Web Cameras > Your model number. You should have a driver download available.

Can you copy the files from the computer that successfully installed the webcam? You can check the following directory for the files. C:\Windows\System32\drivers. Are the files already there?

You should already have ksthunk.sys and usbvideo.sys in the drivers folder. For the usbvideo.sys and or ksthunk.sys there should be backups in the WinSXS folder. Open Computer and browse to the C:\Windows\Winsxs folder. Open the folder and in the upper right search box type usbvideo.sys. Pick the one with the latest date. Copy the file to the C:\Windows\System32\drivers folder. Before you do this I would create a restore point and also a System Repair Disk if you do not have a Windows Ultimate install disk.

Edited by JohnC_21, 21 February 2015 - 09:40 AM.

#8 Nitin_58

Nitin_58
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2015 - 05:41 AM

Sorry for the delay in replying. I tried searching for ksthunk.sys and usbvideo.sys in C:\Windows\Winsxs. Also checked out manually in the winsxs folder. It says file not found.There is no model no. printed on the webcam. but I remembered having previously downloaded and saved the drivers from their site. Installed the drivers but it still shows webcam not found and also usb 2.0 camera driver missing.

Do I need to format the system?(God forbid, I have a lot of data on the drive).

Thanks.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,939 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2015 - 01:12 PM

After installing the drivers you still do not haveI can zip up those two files if you would like and provide a link to Dropbox. Copy them to your

C:\Windows\System32\drivers    folder

If you wish you can download usbvideo.sys here. ksthunk.sys here. I would upload these to virustotal, create a restore point before copying them into your drivers folder and also create a System Repair Disk if you do not have a full Windows 7 install disk.

You tried USBdeview and that did not solve the issue?

#10 Nitin_58

Nitin_58
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2015 - 05:13 AM

Sorry again for the delay. USBdeview did not solve the problem. The two files which you asked to download are both 64 bit where as my system is Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit

#11 Nitin_58

Nitin_58
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2015 - 07:09 AM

Sorry guys, I suppose ksthunk.sys and usbvideo.sys files are present only in 64 bit systems. I checked out in32 bit system, these files are not seen. I downloaded Face2Face C8.0 software from iball and installed the same , it sill does not work and usb 2.0 camera still shows a yellow exclamation mark.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,939 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2015 - 09:34 AM

At the device with the yellow exclamation mark Right click, select properties and under the details tab select Hardware ID's in the dropdown box. Copy and post the first line.

#13 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,049 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2015 - 05:38 AM

I had driver issues with my acer cam here on the board Manycam was recommended, it has worked great since.  Worth giving it a shot and it is free!

http://manycam.com/

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users