Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desperate

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 thepope

thepope

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 16 February 2015 - 09:37 PM

I downloaded a driver update software and my desktop began typing numbers instead of letters. Since i am really stupid with computers I restarted my windows 7 and opted to reset factory defaults thinking i had everything auto backed up in my Maxtor backup drive.
Well.... my maxtor did not have anything for the last5 years
I'm in trouble...
Is there any way I can recover all my data from the last 5 years or am i dead in the water???
Some one please help!!!!
Pope Francis

Edit: Topic moved from Tips and Tricks to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 16 February 2015 - 10:13 PM

Can you do a System Restore back to an appropriate date?

NOTE: When you pull up System Restore, you might see only a couple of entries

Click on Show more restore points to see more prior entries

Click on one before you downloaded the driver update program if you can but go back as far as you can

You can always uninstall the driver update program and then let us know why you thought you needed it in the first place

When you were doing your auto backups on the external Maxtor, were you using Win7's built utility to create backup system mages or backing up data?

Or were using a third party back up program?

I know you said your "Maxtor did not have anything for the last5 years"  but are you absolutely sure?

--- I have seen similar situations in which that wasn't the case even though it appeared to be so

#3 thepope

thepope
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2015 - 12:08 AM

A big thanks for your reply.  I appreciate it.

Unfortunately, when I go into System Restore, there is only one restore point and it is immediately after I stupidly did the return to factory settings reset, believing the Maxtor back up box had all my files in it.  When I click the box to "show more restore points", it only shows the one point.  So I can't get back to a time before I installed the driver updates.  

I really wish I understood the Maxtor system better.When I installed the Maxtor external drive, I believed I set it up to back up everything.  I thought it was backing up everything and anything automatically  When I look at the computer settings, it shows the Maxtor disk as being almost full.  so, no I'm not sure that that's a lost cause.  

Yet I can't find anything on it.  I'm not hoping to get around the bone-head move of returning computer to factory setting, but maybe I can find something on the Maxtor ??

I do not ever choosing to use win7 built in utility, or using a third party program either.

Please let me know the next steps. 

THank you - I live in Colorado now, but grew up in Lowell, Mass. on a farm, left Mass. for good around 1990.  Still love to visit.

#4 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,612 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2015 - 04:06 AM

Reviewing that you "opted to reset factory defaults", so that means you restored the computer back to its original factory settings when the computer was new so it makes sense system restore isn't going to help and I should have realized that up front 

It sounds like you were using the Maxtor free utility to back up your files

--- Pull up the Maxtor manual to see how backing up your data works and then how to retrieve the data

--- Maybe, just maybe, you might have a recent backup available

I have a WD external hard drive but I don't use their data backup utility

--- Looking up the instructions in my WD external hard drive reminded me the free option didn't appeal to me and that's when I opted to use Macrium Reflect Free for creating system images

For future reference consider backing up your data yourself also onto another backup medium

--- I use a flash drive

--- I also have an off line retired XP computer to save those files onto

--- I use batch files to do them so I don't have to figure time where to got to save my data but you could use a copy/paste procedure once you have a plan to follow

Edit: Rewriting what I had posted

Edited by cmptrgy, 17 February 2015 - 04:49 AM.

#5 Plumber

Plumber

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2015 - 08:18 AM

I'm not an expert and might be all wet on this but on your C drive do you have a Windows.old folder?If you do

everything might be in there.

#6 thepope

thepope
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2015 - 07:00 PM

Hi guys, the back up was an external Maxtor hard drive

#7 thepope

thepope
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2015 - 07:07 PM

When I searched inside it, it still seems to be an odd configuration of files, but none since 2013, even though it has room left on it.  I've tried to open everything on it.  Of course, don't have the instructions for it, but I'm gonna look for it online tonight.  reloaded download disks for several things today, but of course that still is starting from scratch.   

so, welcome to any other ideas...right now, I need to understand how/why Maxtor is basically empty

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,923 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2015 - 07:33 PM

If you did a full factory reset where it took the computer back to the day of purchase using the OEM's factory partition, there is no way you will be able to recover any files off the internal drive. Those have all been written over.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users