Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ground wiring issue

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jayson201

Jayson201

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 16 February 2015 - 08:32 PM

I, or we, have already figured out that my computer was acting funky on bad power, because it wasn't grounded. 

Now I've switched the outlet and all is well with the world. My power strip tells me when im protected against surges, and if the outlet is grounded. and this one is...well, sorta.

Occasionally I notice the ground light go off. Which is strange, very strange. I've ruled out other items on the circuit, being a lamp, my laptop, and my secondary monitor. The outlet IS grounded, according to my grandfather who did the wiring. Also, I don't hear any unwelcome moans or groans from the power supply so even though it says it's not grounded, it's not getting any funky input.

I'm not quite sure where else to post this, maybe I should sign up to an Electricians forum. But I'm young and dumb, and most of y'all have at least a decade of experience on my own single decade of slow going experience

Asus m5a97 LE R2.0
AMD FX 6300 (stock cooler. Works fine, contrary to popular belief)
MSI Radeon r9 280 (which coil whines on the high perf and balanced power plans, as well as in poorly optimized games)
8 gb 1600mhz Kingston Value Ram
3 storage medias; 1- 128gb Silicon Power SSD 2- Western Digital HDD's of varying capacity. (One currently unhooked because i may not have seated the SATA cable snugly enough)
HP DVD Drive
and finally, a 750 watt Corsair CXM

The power strip is generic, model number FS 069 B4. I know GE makes a strip under that model number, but this doesn't have GE on it anywhere. Up until this weirdness it's proven to be a quality surge protector.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2015 - 03:56 AM

Invest in a UPS.

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 17 February 2015 - 04:03 AM

The outlet IS grounded, according to my grandfather who did the wiring.

With all due respect is your grandfather a qualified electrician?

When was the last time the outlet and wiring were checked?

You should also have the surge protector tested.

It should take your grandfather or any qualified electrician about 5 minutes to test both.

#4 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 17 February 2015 - 10:49 AM

I would just like to re-iterate, there have been many fires and deaths over the years of non-electricians trying to fix thier wiring problems.  If you or your grandfater is not a qualified electrician than you cannot be sure the outlet is grounded.  PS you CANNOT ground an outlet to a metal box and call it grounded.  This does not work .. It HAS to be earth ground.  If you dont know what I am talking about then you should not be messing with the electrical.

Not to be a completely worthless post .. I would Get a second opinion on your outlet.  For only 10 bux they will save you headaches. And head scratchers.

Once you know.. then you can properly go about having an electrician fix the problem.

If the ground light goes off with this baby attatched something is wrong.. If it doesnt then and the lights are properly lit .. but your power bar still intermittently shows ground .. then the power bar's ground light is faulty.

Edited by YeahBleeping, 17 February 2015 - 10:51 AM.

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,846 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 17 February 2015 - 11:21 AM

There are a number of mfgrs who make a cheap outlet tester.  This will reveal any possible faults that are occuring.  Loss of ground means loss of protection.  No matter what you put between the source and the computer, a faulty ground will not allow any faults to be sent to ground before it can reach the unit.  Yes, a certified/licensed electrician should check it out if faults are identified.

#6 Jayson201

Jayson201
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2015 - 08:25 PM

You guys are right a proper electrician should look over my house. I'll pick up one of those cool little devices and check it. Then i'll speak to my dad and granparents (the owners of the house, not me) about hiring an electrician.
If they don't then they can't blame me for the probable consequences; I'm moving eventually anyway.

No he he isnt a certified electrician but when he installed said outlets, a certified electrician was involved; his buddy that he's known forever was an electrician way back when they re-did the house, long before i was a twinkle in anyones eyes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users