Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

media players not accessing streaming site

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 moosie

moosie

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 16 February 2015 - 08:27 PM

Ive used windows media player to access a favourite site for several years with no problems.

Two days ago when I tried to access the site I got...  'Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file'..

Earlier that morning several windows updates were installed..thinking that might be the prob I deleted them..wasn't the prob.

Checked all settings etc everything seemed ok.

Checked firewall.

Ran Malware bytes and Ccleaner.

Tried several   other players ..same result..no access.

I checked with others who use the site and no one else had a prob.

Did system restore..that didn't help.

Refreshed my computer and did all the updates..no luck.

So I am absolutely stumped and hope you can point e to some  setting or something that Ive overlooked  that might resolve the problem :D

Edited by moosie, 16 February 2015 - 08:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2015 - 02:27 PM

The only thing I didn't see mentioned was rebooting. I'm going to assume that you had to do several in order to do all that you have listed.

Is this the first time you have accessed the site using W8 as your operating system? Were the other users who mentioned 'no problem' also running W8? Have you checked the media site to see if there is an updated codex available for W8?

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 moosie

moosie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2015 - 05:02 PM

Thanks for responding Dick :D

Ive used win 8.1 since the upgrade became available and have been able to access the site without any problems till the other day.

I installed new codecs this morning..didn't help lol at this point I am absolutely clueless lolol.

Ive even borrowed a friends laptop just to check it out...no luck so at this point I suspect a server problem of some sort.

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2015 - 06:03 PM

If the server is in a place with poor weather it could be a problem. Techs can't get to work and local communications aren't all that good for remote repairs.

Hang in there, things will change

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users