Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't boot up because Ethernet cable plugged in

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Qu4nTuMz

Qu4nTuMz

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 16 February 2015 - 08:14 PM

Hello.

So I've had this problem for awhile and finally decided too ask.

If I have my Ethernet cable plugged into my laptop my computer won't boot up, if I unplug my laptop does boot up. I don't know what has caused this.

Laptop specs

Windows 8.1 64bit

intel i7 quad core 3410u

8gb ram

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 16 February 2015 - 08:21 PM

Hi Qu4nTuMz :)

It looks that you might have "PXE Boot", which is a network boot enabled in your BIOS. This kind of boot is often used on corporate network to push OS images on computers to install them from a distance (server). When you insert your Ethernet cable and try to boot your computer, do you receive a message along the lines of "PXE Boot Failure, Please Check Media Cable"?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Qu4nTuMz

Qu4nTuMz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2015 - 09:53 PM

I do not get a PXE Boot Failure. All that appears at the boot screen is the Lenovo logo with no loading sign.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2015 - 08:12 AM

If you go in your BIOS and check your boot order, do you have PXE Boot, LAN Boot, etc. in it at the top? If not, where is it located in that order?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 17 February 2015 - 02:07 PM

if I unplug my laptop does boot up. I don't know what has caused this.

Do you mean this literally? So the Ethernet cable is plugged in and you boot your computer, nothing happens. You unplug the Ethernet cable (while the computer is still powered on), and then it starts to boot?

If this is what you mean, what do you see when the boot starts?

BIOS messages, or the Windows boot?

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#6 Qu4nTuMz

Qu4nTuMz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2015 - 02:31 PM

Do you mean this literally? So the Ethernet cable is plugged in and you boot your computer, nothing happens. You unplug the Ethernet cable (while the computer is still powered on), and then it starts to boot?

No if it doesn't boot, I turn off the laptop and then unplug Ethernet cable.

#7 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2015 - 02:35 PM

OK. To what network device is this Ethernet cable connected? A switch? A router? And what other devices are connected to the network device?

Didier Stevens

SANS ISC Senior Handler

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#8 DBAPaul

DBAPaul

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2015 - 02:39 PM

No if it doesn't boot, I turn off the laptop and then unplug Ethernet cable.

Have you tried using a different Ethernet cable?

#9 Qu4nTuMz

Qu4nTuMz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2015 - 04:14 PM

I have just tried using a different Ethernet cable, and it somehow worked.

#10 Qu4nTuMz

Qu4nTuMz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2015 - 04:23 PM

Actually, it doesn't boot up, I used different Ethernet cable first time and it booted up. I tried again by restarting and it doesn't boot up

#11 Qu4nTuMz

Qu4nTuMz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2015 - 04:24 PM

OK. To what network device is this Ethernet cable connected? A switch? A router? And what other devices are connected to the network device?

I am using a ZyXel HD Powerline Adapter ( PLA4201 )

#12 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2015 - 04:33 PM

Then you must have a second PLA4201 in your house, connected to a switch or router.

Can you go to that switch or router, and plugin your Ethernet cable into it, the other end in your laptop, and then try to boot? So you don't use the PLA4201s.

Didier Stevens

SANS ISC Senior Handler

#13 Qu4nTuMz

Qu4nTuMz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2015 - 04:33 PM

If you go in your BIOS and check your boot order, do you have PXE Boot, LAN Boot, etc. in it at the top? If not, where is it located in that order?

https://www.sendspace.com/file/9xmbvm This is a bios image. I am not sure how to tell you this, please look at the image

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2015 - 04:39 PM

Alright, select "PXE Boot to Lan" and press on Enter to select it, then switch it to Disabled. That should do it.

unite_blue.png

#15 Qu4nTuMz

Qu4nTuMz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2015 - 04:53 PM

Then you must have a second PLA4201 in your house, connected to a switch or router.
Can you go to that switch or router, and plugin your Ethernet cable into it, the other end in your laptop, and then try to boot? So you don't use the PLA4201s.

I've tried doing that just now. And it doesn't connect.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users