Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tools for Clean PC living!

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#31 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 20 February 2015 - 08:23 AM

To be honest, there's nothing wrong in installing the drivers and Windows Updates first as if you install the drivers directly from your computer/laptop manufacturer, I really doubt that these will be infected. Plus it allows you to see if installing these drivers will results in the system BSOD'ing or not. If it does, it's way easier to start the troubleshooting without any security software active, because installing drivers still results in installing kernel-mode drivers at some point and your Antivirus might conflict with that. Before installing any kind of program on a Windows install, you should make sure that it's fully working. Then you start installing your programs. But if you install your programs followed by drivers and Windows Updates, issues can ensue. It's common for Antivirus products to make Windows Updates fails, hence why I want to install them before the Antivirus.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#32 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,081 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2015 - 09:12 AM

Quietman7 - the first link you posted in #28 goes to a 404-page .... can you correct this please as I'd be interested to see the MVPS report?

There is nothing to correct on my part.

Appears the entire Freeware Antispyware Products page with the notes about Spybot and Ad-Aware has either been removed or temporarily unavailable. This was done recently as it was there a few weeks ago.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#33 Dicedawg

Dicedawg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2015 - 01:03 PM

Thanks Quietman7, I did also use Ad-aware back in the past so thanks for that update, But that Common-Sense App you spoke of sometimes gets blocked by the Exciter App or the Flustered App, again why I hang out with the BC clan!

Agreed Aura, just did it backwards this time, Avast is good at asking  me if its allowed so I didn't suffer much there.

So I'll proceed as described above to ensure a safer PC life.

Thanks again,

DiceDawg

Pickleball Rocks!  :bananas: 

#34 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2015 - 01:06 PM

No problem Dawg, our pleasure! :)

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#35 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,081 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2015 - 01:14 PM

Dicedawg...you're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.

#36 Dicedawg

Dicedawg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2015 - 11:37 AM

Was the following reference meant for "

ListCWall"?

"It depends of what you do on your computer to be honest. The basics would include an Antivirus and an Antimalware. Windows Firewall is good enough, but you can supplement it with a third-party firewall. As for misc. programs, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and CryptoPrevent are two "must have" here with the Cryptoware going really wild at the moment. As for web extensions, you'll wait to use HTTPS Everywhere, Ghostery and Web of Trust for safe browsing, uBlock (or any other Adblocker) and NoScript (Firefox) or ScriptSafe (Google Chrome) to protect yourself from being hit by scripted exploit packs hosted on some websites/webpages"

DiceDawg

#37 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2015 - 11:39 AM

ListCWall have nothing to do with the my quote you posted. That program is used to export and back-up files that were encrypted by CryptoWall, it doesn't protect your system against it, nor against anything else.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#38 Dicedawg

Dicedawg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2015 - 12:31 PM

Ok Aura, so then "CryptoPrevent " is not from the Bleeping Computer Software downloads, right?

- I Didn't find it on BC when searching for either the exact or Crypto search string.

Can you provide a Malware free source for that item?

Thanks

DiceDawg

#39 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2015 - 12:38 PM

As far as I know, CryptoPrevent isn't hosted on BleepingComputer, it's hosted on Foolish IT, right here:

http://www.foolishit.com/vb6-projects/cryptoprevent/

This is the official website for it.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#40 Dicedawg

Dicedawg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2015 - 01:22 PM

They make it difficult to get their Free Version!

DiceDawg

#41 Dicedawg

Dicedawg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2015 - 01:27 PM

So, can I assume the following are the correct sites mentioned for Web of Trust? Web of Trust - WOT :: Add-ons for Firefox - Mozilla Add-ons addons.mozilla.org Add-ons for Firefox Extensions Mozilla Add‑ons Rating: 3.5 - ‎1,542 votes - ‎Free Nov 18, 2013 - Find out which websites you can trust. WOT adds intuitive traffic light-style icons next to search results and URLs to help you make informed ... WOT - Chrome Web Store - Google https://chrome.google.com/webstore/.../bhmmomiinigofk... Google Chrome Rating: 4.5 - ‎4,400 votes - ‎Free - ‎Chrome Jul 22, 2014 - WOT helps you find trustworthy websites based on millions of users' experiences and is one of Chrome's most popular add-ons.

DiceDawg

#42 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,081 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2015 - 01:36 PM

They make it difficult to get their Free Version!

No it doesn't. You just have to scroll down the page where it says...
Download a setup installer with full uninstall support below (recommended for most people, free.)

#43 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2015 - 01:38 PM

Yes, this is the correct link to get the Web of Trust extension for Google Chrome:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/wot/bhmmomiinigofkjcapegjjndpbikblnp

Also, the free version of CryptoPrevent is quite easy to obtain, here.

http://www.foolishit.com/download/cryptoprevent-installer/

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#44 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,081 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2015 - 01:41 PM

BTW...Many site rating vendors (i.e. McAfee SiteAdvisor, WOT) use a system of volunteer testers that continually patrol the Internet to browse sites, download files, and enter information on sign-up forms. All the results are documented and supplemented with feedback from users, Web site owners, and analysis from their own employees. The advising site vendor then summarizes the results sometimes into a color-coded red, yellow and green ratings scale to help inform Web users as to the safety of each tested site. While these tools are useful, they are not foolproof and sometimes may provide misleading ratings. Just because you visit a risky site does not automatically mean the site is bad or that your system has been infected by going there. Thus, the use of such rating sites does not always guarantee an accurate rating of the results they provide.

#45 Dicedawg

Dicedawg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2015 - 09:11 AM

Thanks for the clarifications Aura and Quietman7.

DiceDawg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users