Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tools for Clean PC living!

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 Dicedawg

Dicedawg

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 16 February 2015 - 07:38 PM

Hi Team BC,
I have followed BC for many years now and have a couple of Healthy PC questions at Large for precautionary PC Life:
1) What is the first thing one should load on to a new PC?
2) What Antivirus has the BC Top recommendation? (I've tried many flavors and got infected anyway!)
3) BC has lots of great software on the site, which of the Malware products should be used for daily preventative use?

Lets start with this!

Thanks

Edit: Topic moved from Windows 7 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

DiceDawg

Pickleball Rocks!  :bananas: 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Lunathecat

Lunathecat

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2015 - 07:52 PM

Hi!

First and foremost you need to install good antivirus and firewall programs! As for which one I'm sure you will get a variaty of answers, as for me I prefer Avast Premire which I have used for years and never suffered an infection. The free version of Avast is good but you will need to install a firewall as well. For that I would reccomend Comodo. As for a malware program I rely on Malwarebytes.

Hope this helps you!

#3 johnebadbak

johnebadbak

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 16 February 2015 - 08:02 PM

you should use the virus scanner to your advantage 

when you download software files etc then before you open and run the files  RIGHT CLICK  on the file and select SCAN WITH (your virus scanner) listed..

if it comes up nasty then delete the file in question.

I have used clamwin virus scanner for a number of years and no problems provided you act on the info above.

#4 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 16 February 2015 - 08:06 PM

Hello there,

2) What Antivirus has the BC Top recommendation? (I've tried many flavors and got infected anyway!)
3) BC has lots of great software on the site, which of the Malware products should be used for daily preventative use?

To answer your questions:
1. The first thing one should load on a new PC is a reliable AV and AM solution.
2. There is no "one size fits all" AV - it all boils down to personal preference.
3. For AVs, there are a lot of choices - both free and paid.
For AM (antimalware), there are two top choices: Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Emsisoft Anti-Malware.

If you can be kind and tell us more about your system and personal preference, we will be happy to give recommendations.

Regards,
Alex

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2015 - 08:14 PM

Let's answer every questions individually shall we?

The first thing you should load on a new installation of Windows are the Windows Updates and the missing drivers. Simple as that. No programs, nothing. Updates and drivers are a priority.

You know that no Antivirus have a 100% protection rate, right? Every Antivirus have their own way of protecting a system and their own detection ratio. It doesn't matter if you use the best or the worst, if you don't use your common sense when browsing the web, or if you don't use general security measures, you'll end up infected, no matter what Antivirus you use. I suggest you to read the two threads below to get a better understanding of "common sense" when it comes to computer protection and security.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/keep-your-computer-safe-online/
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/407147/answers-to-common-security-questions-best-practices/

It depends of what you do on your computer to be honest. The basics would include an Antivirus and an Antimalware. Windows Firewall is good enough, but you can supplement it with a third-party firewall. As for misc. programs, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and CryptoPrevent are two "must have" here with the Cryptoware going really wild at the moment. As for web extensions, you'll wait to use HTTPS Everywhere, Ghostery and Web of Trust for safe browsing, uBlock (or any other Adblocker) and NoScript (Firefox) or ScriptSafe (Google Chrome) to protect yourself from being hit by scripted exploit packs hosted on some websites/webpages.

Anything I should clarify in my answers for you?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,609 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2015 - 10:23 PM

Important Fact: No amount of security software is going to defend against today's sophisticated malware writers for those who do not practice safe computing and stay informed. It has been proven time and again that the user is a more substantial factor (weakest link) in security than the architecture of the operating system or installed protection software.The best defensive strategy is to make sure you are running an updated anti-malware product, use security tools capable of stopping (preventing) infection before it can cause any damage and routinely backup your data. Backing up your data and disk imaging are among the most important maintenance tasks users should perform on a regular basis, yet it's one of the most neglected areas.

Security begins with personal responsibility and following Best Practices for Safe Computing.

Knowledge and the ability to use it is the best defensive tool anyone can have.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 Victoria-Joe

Victoria-Joe

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 17 February 2015 - 12:01 AM

Yes, backing up the data timely, using a firewall and an antivirus is very important. After the above advise given by Aura and quietman7, I want to add up little bit more points like cleaning the registry, def-ragging the hard drive after certain intervals of time is very important to avoid ant junk in the system. These maintenance task should be carried out after regular intervals of time to avoid any issues. 

Edited by Victoria-Joe, 17 February 2015 - 12:15 AM.

#8 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2015 - 04:15 AM

After the above advise given by Aura and quietman7, I want to add up little bit more points like cleaning the registry, def-ragging the hard drive after certain intervals of time is very important to avoid ant junk in the system.

Regarding your advice about registry cleaning...

The following warning is quoted from Moderator Budapest.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:
  • Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.
  • Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.
  • Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.
  • Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.
  • The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".
Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.Regards,
Alex

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,609 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2015 - 07:13 AM

Also posted here...Why you should not use Registry Cleaners and Optimization Tools

Be sure to read Microsoft's support policy for the use of registry cleaning utilities in that topic...Microsoft does not support the use of registry cleaners.

#10 Angoid

Angoid

• Security Colleague
  • 299 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2015 - 07:33 AM

The only thing I'd throw into this mix is that Ccleaner describes itself now as a tool for 'optimising' your PC.  Aside from the Registry cleaner element (which should either not be used at all or only used with extreme care), this tool is generally recommended and defo worth having around.

Helping a loved one through a mental health issue?  Remember ALGEE...

Assess the risk | Listen nonjudgementally | Give reassurance and info | Encourage professional help | Encourage self-help and support network

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,609 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2015 - 07:50 AM

I fully agree with your comments about CCleaner.

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2015 - 08:10 AM

Victoria, I would like you to explain to me why you think that cleaning the Registry is important. There's no proven facts or studies that shows that its a good thing to do, nor that it improves your system performance. Do why do you think that it should be done anyway?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,609 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2015 - 09:33 PM

A lot of folks still believe cleaning the registry is beneficial. In fact that was the norm before it was concluded registry cleaners were not that useful. Older users cite Microsoft's Regclean from years ago which gives validity to the premise that registry cleaning is a useful part of maintenance. If registry cleaning was so important, Microsoft would have updated their utility or incorporated it as a built-in Windows feature instead of removing it and providing a policy against using such products.

Now we have anti-virus vendors offering optimizing and cleaning utilities as part of their software packages so I would not be surprised if we see an increase in their usage.

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2015 - 09:37 PM

In fact that was the norm before it was concluded registry cleaners were not that useful. Older users cite Microsoft's Regclean from years ago which gives validity to the premise that registry cleaning is a useful part of maintenance.

And even there, Registry cleaners were used by software developpers in environmental systems to make sure that they were cleaning any traces of the software they were testing from the Registry. It wasn't really meant to be used by common folks, except in the Windows 98 era. Which Antivirus company would be offering Registry cleaning feature? This is just plainly shameful. I'm sure a lot of them write articles on their blog warning against such products because they can be infected or a pure scam.

unite_blue.png

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,609 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2015 - 10:13 PM

AVG PC TuneUp, System Shield AntiVirus & AntiSpyware (System Mechanic Pro), Ashampoo WinOptimizer, Norton Utilities, VIPRE Registry Cleaner, Advanced SystemCare Ultimate, NETGATE Registry Cleaner, Cloud System Booster by Anvisoft

..although some vendors offer cleaners as stand-alone products, many users associate them with the primary antivirus product.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users