Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Having Trouble Removing The following

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 WaltKahler

WaltKahler

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 16 February 2015 - 07:00 PM

Hello everyone,

I am looking for a way to solve this problem:

appdata\local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions\pbjikboenpfhbbejgkoklgkhjpfogcam

I am unable to permamentaly remove the above. This is attached to my hard drive and I am able to use JRT to remove it temporarily, but when I turn off the computer and turn it back on this prevents me from accessing google chrome. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Walter

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,447 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 16 February 2015 - 07:24 PM

First of all - welcome to BC !

This appears to be perfectly normal. I have Chrome installed on my own computer although I only use it occasionally, and it has an extension with a similar - but different - string of letters as a folder name. If you open this folder you should find another inside it called '2.1' which in my case contains six files.

Two of these files are .HTML files - 'background' and 'newtab'; one is a file with a .JSON extension and the other three are, I think, Javascript files relating to content.

From their titles I suspect these files are necessary for Chrome to run so I would leave them alone.

I could of course be wrong, in which case someone else will correct me, but for the time being don't worry about it.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 WaltKahler

WaltKahler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2015 - 07:56 PM

Thanks Chris for the response. Your information is helpful, but doesn't solve the problem. The folder is C:\Users\Walter\appdata\local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions\pbjikboenpfhbbejgkoklgkhjpfogcam and when I use Junk Removal Tool it successfully removes the folder, but it reappears if I shut down or restart the computer,

Walter Kahler

#4 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 16 February 2015 - 08:10 PM

Hello there,

Do you have the Amazon 1Button App for Chrome installed?

Alex

#5 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 16 February 2015 - 09:35 PM

Have you tried removing it with AdwCleaner?

#6 WaltKahler

WaltKahler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2015 - 09:52 PM

Thanks for all the replies and I will try adwCleaner

#7 WaltKahler

WaltKahler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2015 - 02:10 PM

Hello everyone who replied to this request. I am pleased to announce the problem has been resolved as of today. I used adwClearner and after a couple of attempts a successful return Chrome has been granted. Thanks for the help and have a great weekend.

Walter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users