Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to Increase Default Font Size

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JayJax

JayJax

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 16 February 2015 - 03:08 PM

How can I increase default type display size on my Apple?

I know how to do it on my laptop but don't know how to do it with Apple.

My eyesight is not what it used to be so I'd like larger print display on everything.  

On my laptop I have to forego that mostly or there'd be no functional display screen to work on.

On my apple I have a huge screen which makes it silly that I'm squinting to see print when there's plenty of space available.

Is there a way to increase the font size permanently or across the board on my Apple?   I know about the increase size on browsers but that doesn't help in many ways either as the tab type is small.

Edited by JayJax, 16 February 2015 - 03:09 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,488 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 16 February 2015 - 03:12 PM

Hello, 

This might be helpful somewhat: http://support.apple.com/kb/PH18831

Also this: http://www.macworld.com/article/2026699/stop-squinting-make-text-bigger-in-os-x.html

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2015 - 05:01 PM

Apple what? Apple Mac (whether MacBook laptop or iMac, etc)? Apple iOS device?

If a Mac computer, then the suggestions that computerxpds will help (plus this link might help: http://www.guidingtech.com/26267/make-fonts-objects-larger-mac-mavericks/). The one other option to universally make everything bigger is to go to a lower screen resolution. Of course, you will "lose" some "screen real estate" and it will generally look "fuzzier".

If a iOS device, then open the Setting app. You will find slider to adjust text under Display & Brightness > Text Size.

#4 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2015 - 07:20 PM

I appreciate your time to try to help but that amazes me all the stuff you have to wade thru - used to be you could (as i can on my laptop) just select, say 110 percent text size and that was it.    It looks like an act of congress AFTER you get thru reading all that stuff.

I guess I'm stuck with if there's no way I can sort thru all that.

I wish apple would DO THINGS THE EASY WAY instead of the 50 million steps to maybe get something to work.

I DO APPRECIATE - not trying to know you guys taking time to post but I was hoping for something simple instead of reading library of congress.

#5 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2015 - 07:24 PM

Hello, 

This might be helpful somewhat: http://support.apple.com/kb/PH18831

Also this: http://www.macworld.com/article/2026699/stop-squinting-make-text-bigger-in-os-x.html

It does have suggestions about how to increase text size in applications but I was wanting something that would work on like news sites or just even the tabs of my computer.

PLEASE COMPUTER MANUFACTURERS GIMMEEEE A BREAK.   It blows my mind to have this monster screen on my Apple and tiny miniature print squeezed in to the point its illegible especially if its late at night and my eyes tired.

I'm getting grouchy - not at those of you trying to help but at the idiots who manufacture computers.

#6 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2015 - 07:25 PM

GOD FORBID there be one or two keystrokes that could increase everything on the screen.

way too easy I guess

never do something the easy way when you can stretch it out into your next lifetime to research and implement.

#7 MaryBet82

MaryBet82

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 24 March 2015 - 03:31 PM

I'm with JayJax - I think some work needs to be done on making font size and dialog boxes more uniform in size within and between programs so that you can set a screen resolution and a default font size comfortable to you and not have to spend forever after zooming in and out. For example, when I followed the directions to increase the font size in Finder through Show View Options the View Options box itself was tiny - and the max font size was 16. I have an icon on my Mac Word so that I can click once and zoom to 230%, but there's no way to make the dialog boxes bigger. I've tried many different resolutions, but any that make dialog boxes readable make everything else too big. I spend a lot of time whenever I move to a new web page zooming in - takes a lot of CMD+'s.

mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

#8 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2015 - 08:57 PM

I'm with JayJax - I think some work needs to be done on making font size and dialog boxes more uniform in size within and between programs so that you can set a screen resolution and a default font size comfortable to you and not have to spend forever after zooming in and out. For example, when I followed the directions to increase the font size in Finder through Show View Options the View Options box itself was tiny - and the max font size was 16. I have an icon on my Mac Word so that I can click once and zoom to 230%, but there's no way to make the dialog boxes bigger. I've tried many different resolutions, but any that make dialog boxes readable make everything else too big. I spend a lot of time whenever I move to a new web page zooming in - takes a lot of CMD+'s.

I appreciate your input and the thought you've given to the problem.    You're right too its a difficult problem with no easy solution.   Maybe SOMEDAY?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users