Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP behaving erratically - laptop barely running

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mdg1907

mdg1907

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 16 February 2015 - 02:58 PM

I have a Dell Laptop that has performed well for four years, with the minor exception of wireless connection can be quirky.  I started experiencing problems last week with the system hanging up while trying to establish network connection.  Operating system has become very unstable.  Thought that I might have a virus - Vipre and Malwarebytes did not find anything.  I can start in Safe mode OK.  I remember that there was a windows update going on when I started to tun off computer - allowed it to finish and turn itself off.  i now think these problems started since that update.  Not sure if the wireless network drivers etc are causing my problems or if it is something more sinister.  System event log has a bunch of DCOM errors, among some others.  When I was able to get the machine running normal XP I tried to copy an excel file to a SD card and found out that it copied excel.lnk there instead -  now excel is messed up.   Still not convinced that there ins't some malware on board I need to retire this unit and would like to do a final backup - USB obviously isn't an option in safe mode.....Not sure where to start.

I have recovered a couple of virus-infected computers before but this one is harder one to get a handle on

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,449 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 16 February 2015 - 03:08 PM

I remember that there was a windows update going on when I started to tun off computer - allowed it to finish and turn itself off.  i now think these problems started since that update.

i would start by doing a system restore to a point previous to this event

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users