Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Extra Hard drive E:/ help

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Kyleec

Kyleec

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 16 February 2015 - 01:12 PM

Okay so I bought a hard drive off one of my friends and it has all his Windows stuff etc in the E: drive etc. How can I wipe everything on the drive? It has 250GB which will help me with more of my files of storage but it already is using 70+ GB So I defiantly want to clean it/wipe it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 998 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2015 - 01:27 PM

format the drive

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,827 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 16 February 2015 - 01:38 PM

Agreed...you can use Disk Management to delete existing partition, then create a new/storage partition on the drive. Attach the drive as a secondary drive on your system...then Start/Run...type diskmgmt.msc and hit Enter (to get to Disk Management).

Louis

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,196 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2015 - 01:43 PM

Alternatively, you could use the diskpart utility from the command prompt. Open the command prompt and enter diskpart. Once you're in the diskpart utility, type list disk and identify the disk number corresponding to the hard drive (just check it's size). Enter select disk X where X is the number of that disk previously identified. From there, simply enter the clean command to destroy every partitions on it. Once this is done, go in your My Computer and try to access the drive, then it'll asks you to format it before using it. Accept, wait a bit and you're good to go.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users