Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 artisansdjj

artisansdjj

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 16 February 2015 - 12:35 PM

Noticed this in my network list this morning, along with the computers that I expected to see there. Searched on 127.0.0.1 and found a lengthy exchange over removing this on this site... I've run Malwarebytes, HitmanPro and Adware and it's still showing up in my network listing. I downloaded FRST... but there's a lot in the log it produces and I'm wary of just letting it "FIX" ... any advice?

Is it possible that this entry is legit and related to my Belkin 3.0 USB + Gigabit Ethernet adapter? I recently upgraded to Win 8.1 (from 7) and had to disable the onboard network card which wasn't supported in Win 8, so found this option (didn't want to install a new NIC in the computer if I don't have to.

Thanks,

Donna

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,915 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 16 February 2015 - 02:50 PM

Definition: The IP address 127.0.0.1 is a special purpose address reserved for use on each computer. 127.0.0.1 is conventionally a computer's loopback address.
Network software and utilities can use 127.0.0.1 to access a local computer's TCP/IP network resources. Messages sent to loopback IP addresses like 127.0.0.1 do not reach outside to the local area network (LAN) but instead are automatically re-routed by the computer's own network adapter back to the receiving end of the TCP/IP stack.
Typically all IP addresses in the range 127.0.0.1 - 127.255.255.255 are reserved for private use, but 127.0.0.1 is by convention the loopback address in almost all cases.

Why Is the Localhost IP 127.0.0.1? - How-To Geek

127.0.0.1 – What Are its Uses and Why is it Important?

There's no place like 127.0.0.1 | ThinkGeek

Edited by NickAu, 16 February 2015 - 02:50 PM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#3 artisansdjj

artisansdjj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2015 - 03:26 PM

So that IS a legitimate (not evil) entry? Just confused because it was never there until this week. I had the computer off for a week, then had problems getting the USB/Ethernet adapter to work, and that's when I started seeing it.

Thanks for your answer.

Donna

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 16 February 2015 - 03:47 PM

Yes Donna, it is a legitimate entry and it's perfectly normal for it to show in your network list (what are you referring as your network list however)? I'm posting to comment on your sentence here:

I downloaded FRST... but there's a lot in the log it produces and I'm wary of just letting it "FIX" ... any advice?

FRST doesn't fix anything unless you pass it a fix-list in argument to run. FRST is meant to produce a detailled report of key items on your system (entries, files, settings, etc.) and to fix them using an appropriate fix-list. You should never use FRST unless adviced by a trained malware removal helper that will guide you in the process (or if you've been trained yourself in order to do it). If you think that you need a FRST fix for anything, you'll have to post a thread in the malware removal section. However, there's no need to do that for 127.0.0.1 (localhost) since it's a legitimate entry.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 artisansdjj

artisansdjj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2015 - 04:20 PM

What I meant by "network list" is the listing in Windows Explorer of  files/libraries/devices, etc. Under "Network" when I open it out it looks like:

Network

Donna-Securoni (my work laptop)

Donna (my desktop)

Gerry (husband's desktop)

My other laptop would be there if it was on.

That first entry just started showing up today or yesterday.

Donna

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,607 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2015 - 05:07 PM

If you have a service (program) running that uses localhost as a "network", then it's normal for it to be displayed in the Windows Explorer under Network.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#7 artisansdjj

artisansdjj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2015 - 09:21 PM

Not that I know of, but I think, having run MalwareBytes, Hitman Pro and Adware against my computer today and having NONE of them come up with anything. I'm just going to cross my fingers and assume that it's OK, and that it is a result of the new network adapter.

Thanks for the answers!

Donna

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,607 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2015 - 11:28 AM

No problem Donna :) If you get any issues with that network, let us know and we'll try to see what's happening.

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users