Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Are These Wire-Mesh Pads on Heatsink?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 16 February 2015 - 11:35 AM

All I can guess is that they provide more pressure on the heatsink-to-CPU causing better contact

I have actually had these cause boot issues on some Toshiba laptops. Removed them and boots right up....

Anyone can shed more light on this?

Thanks

htsnk_zps3e07cfa8.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2015 - 04:17 PM

Could you also provide a picture of the motherboard with and without the sink on it?  I can only guess that it may be for protecting the path flow for the fan.

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 16 February 2015 - 06:16 PM

They're conductive earthing pads, used to assist continuity of earthing contact especially in environments using a lot of plastic mouldings. They will be strategically placed according to factors like RFI suppression (shielding) and static charge dissipation, and they can compensate for small amounts of movement, being resilient.

If one is out of position and makes electrical contact with something in the circuitry instead of just an earth point, it could affect operation. An example would be sliding or squishing out sideways and touching the solder contact on a surface mount component.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 bludgard

bludgard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2015 - 07:36 PM

htsnk_zps1fb914d4.jpg

This is the actual machine I am working with (Dell 1545 w/ Window 10 TP).

These must have had a dual purpose:

The intake slots on bottom of cover were so that the air was pulled over the wifi nic, the GPU and then CPU.

Although average temps of CPU and GPU went down a few degrees C with them in place (Prime95 & HWiNFO64); specially when the fan hit high speed, I knew there was some other use for them. They are prevalent in laptops we rip apart for repair. They do slide at times and make contact with electrical circuitry. They do tend to cause boot issues when they shift. ;)

They are usually found around USB ports, power ports VGA, HDMI and DVI ports, media ports and various other places. They also tend to be in more abundance on older model laptops. I guess manufacturers are building them more electrically stable; or creating a product that is designed to fail within a relatively short period of time: Selling more units or profiting from repairs.

Thanks for the input.

I have something to wiki before I sleep. Just gotta find the right terms....

Edit: I would have pulled the heatsink for a pic but am currently out of thermal compound. Gotta run to Staples in the AM....

Edited by bludgard, 16 February 2015 - 07:45 PM.

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,222 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2015 - 07:58 PM

There certainly can be situations where they serve double duty by conveniently helping to direct air flow.

In the image above, they provide contact points to make sure the sputtered metallic or aquadag carbon coating inside the cover hatch is adequately earthed. They're often found adjacent to strong potential RFI sources or exit points for radiated energy. I have to be sure to correctly refit any I encounter in monitors or TVs, and we've occasionally had to retrofit them as a service kit in TVs that prove to have RF interference problems. We have to locate them exactly as specified.

#6 bludgard

bludgard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2015 - 08:06 PM

Can you please give me a name by which I may research this or purchase if necessary? I am having a time with search terms.

Thanks

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,222 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2015 - 08:40 PM

I tend to just point and say "that thing". :)

I didn't immediately attach a name to them, or a source, but 3M seem to have a variety:

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/644628O/3mtm-emi-emc-solutions-brochure.pdf?fn=EMI_EMCSolutions%20Brochure.pdf

Another source describes them as conductive yarn over foam grounding tabs:

http://www.darcoid.com/images/uploads/pdfs/pg154conductivegroundingtabs.pdf

Edited by Platypus, 16 February 2015 - 08:40 PM.

#8 bludgard

bludgard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2015 - 09:16 PM

Thanks. Got something to work with. Fuel for the fire.

G'Day. :thumbup2:

Edit: Exactly what I was looking for.

Edited by bludgard, 16 February 2015 - 09:26 PM.

#9 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,222 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2015 - 03:06 AM

No worries.

#10 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2015 - 10:32 AM

Wwoooo Good Read Platypus thanks for that I was really wondering what they were too .. when he said wire mesh over foam I thought they had to be some kind of shielding too but l wasnt sure so I went the easy route and said routing pads .. lol which they ... arn't really designed for but may serve that purpose as you said.. thanks for clearing that up for us .. I dont tear apart many laptops but sure is nice to know what that ' thing ' is lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users