Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive failing

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Branmat

Branmat

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2015 - 11:19 AM

Hi all

I have a dell computer running vista

I purchased this computer a few years back and used it to replace one that had a fried motherboard. My previous computers hard drive was installed into the newer fell as an additional storage and to allow me to retrieve any data.
That old hard drive is failing
My question is two fold.
Can this hard drive failure affect my main hard drive?
Can this hard drive be repaired/reformatted or removed without affecting my main hd?

Thanks to all for any help. I am pretty decent with computers but have never installed a hard drive or anything.

I have run ckhdsk utility which told me it could find no problems but I am still getting an error message at start up and during reg usage.

Thanks!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 16 February 2015 - 11:28 AM

If the "storage" drive was an add-on; then it is safe to remove (as long as there are no programs installed to the drive and it only contains media).

The failing drive will affect the OS drive insofar as accessing data and indexing is concerned. It will slow down.

As far as repairing/reformatting: This may prolong the life of the drive and make it more stable, or it may shorten the life and make it more unstable: Depending on the actual health of the drive.

#3 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 16 February 2015 - 11:32 AM

Hello there,

If the HDD is truly failing then there is no point in attempting a repair or reformat. Your best bet would be to replace it.

Regards,
Alex

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,014 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 17 February 2015 - 02:12 PM

The first thing I would do would be to run a diagnostic on the hdd to see if it is in fact failing.

Please download and run SeatTool for Windows.

When the website opens scroll down till you find the I Accept button and click on it.

If you scroll down below this button you will find instruction for installing this.

Once you install this program you will see an image similar to the one below.

seagate3_zps1fa1f71c.jpg

1.  SeaTools for Windows will search for hdds on your computer.  Please remove any external storage devices connected via USB port.

2.  Detected Drives will list the hdd/s found.  Place a check mark in the drive you want to run the scan on.

3.  You will see Basic Tests above Detected Drives, move the mouse pointer over this.

4.  A menu will open with options for different scans, please click on Long Generic Test

5.  This will start the scan.  When the scan is complete you will see the result under Test Status , please post the results in your topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2015 - 05:25 PM

Agree with the rest... if the original install is Vista... that drive has reached its end of life. Clone it quick or lose everything. Just  sayin', Mate.

At least copy/paste to external media.

Word

If the dive is failing toss it....

Edited by bludgard, 17 February 2015 - 05:34 PM.

#6 Branmat

Branmat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2015 - 05:49 PM

Ok so what I did do was chkdsk it again. No diff. Copied any data I didn't wanna lose and ....
Went inside my unit and just unplugged it.
No start up issues or anything. So it was definitely just an added hd not related to the os or anything

Thanks all for replies.

#7 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2015 - 05:54 PM

Cool beans, mate. Now I can sleep....

What vyou gonna do with that janky drive? lol

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,014 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 17 February 2015 - 06:11 PM

To rule out a faulty installation I still believe that you should run the diagnostic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users