Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

admin

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 trevorcork

trevorcork

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 16 February 2015 - 10:51 AM

hi could somebody tell me what i need to do in server 2012 to make a current USER and administrator with admin privaleges for downloading and installing anything he requires,which group should i add him to and how do i do it

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2015 - 10:58 AM

Are you trying to make them an administrator on the server (domain admin) or an admin on a separate computer only? Is the computer you are adding the user to connected to the domain?

If on a separate computer and the computer is connected to the domain, and the user already exists in your active directory on the server (you have a domain), you would add him on the separate computer to the administrators group by:

(On the separate computer not the server) Right click on computer and select "manage", then click on the arrow next to "Local Users and Groups" to drop down that menu, then click on groups, then double click on "administrators", then click add, at this point type in the (active directory) user name and hit ok, it should prompt you for domain administrator credentials, type those in and finish the process, then log out and log back in.

Edited by zingo156, 16 February 2015 - 11:11 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2015 - 11:06 AM

I edited that last post to make it a bit more clear, you might want to refresh your page and re-read the above post. Let me know if you have any questions.

Edited by zingo156, 16 February 2015 - 11:07 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#4 trevorcork

trevorcork
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2015 - 11:27 AM

no i want to make them a domain admin so they have the privalages on all pcs in the company,so if i click on the users name and rite click and add to group and add him to domain admin then that would sort it,so i need to get him to log back on to his machine then? i tried to do it on the laptop by going to computer-manage-users and groups but his name wasnt there so if i do it on server it should be fine

#5 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2015 - 11:41 AM

You would want to do this from the domain server for a domain admin: http://download.swsoft.com/virtuozzo/virtuozzo4.0/docs/en/win/VzWindowsClustering/21394.htm

If the user already has a domain account then you can just add him to the group that has admin rights on the domain. I have not actually done this on server 2012 yet so those instructions might vary a bit. It should be a similar process.

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2015 - 11:43 AM

This is correct, then have him log off his machine and back on. That should update the privileges on his machine.

no i want to make them a domain admin so they have the privalages on all pcs in the company,so if i click on the users name and rite click and add to group and add him to domain admin then that would sort it

#7 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 17 February 2015 - 10:49 PM

You should really stay away from Domain Wide Admins, just create a GPO to add the users account as a local admin to the computer/computers. That way its not domain wide.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users