Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer running slow, suggested pc tuneup program?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
21 replies to this topic

#1 Mr. Engino

Mr. Engino

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 16 February 2015 - 10:11 AM

my netbook, which still runs windows xp, has been running rather slowly for the past few years. i was now considering installing a pc tune up program to help fix that. does anyone have a suggestion as to what program i should choose? im mainly interested in free versions.

Edited by hamluis, 16 February 2015 - 10:48 AM.
Moved from XP to All Other Applications - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 996 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2015 - 10:16 AM

none of them.......

#3 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 16 February 2015 - 10:40 AM

Hello there,

I do not recommend any "tune up" programs - they cause a lot of problems and do not fix anything.

However, I can suggest some programs you can use.

- CCleaner for cleaning temporary files. Do NOT use the Registry Cleaner option!

- Defraggler or the built-in Windows Disk Defragmenter for defragmenting your HDD (don't do this if you use a SSD, however).

- A good AM solution - take your pick between Malwarebytes Anti-Malware or Emsisoft Anti-Malware to get rid of things that AV solutions won't catch.

My friend Aura can give you some additional recommendations.

Regards,
Alex

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,190 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2015 - 10:44 AM

These programs won't help you Engino. They are completely worthless and useless to use. Every feature they provide, you can either do it natively under Windows, do it via another standalone executable (which is way easier and safer to use) or they aren't providing something you need. Having such program installing on your system will just bloat it down and you have more chances to have issues by using them than without. I've seen way too many systems being broke by these "PC Optomizer" program which promised to "optimize it". I can put back in shape a 5-6 years old computer faster and in a more efficient and safe way than any of these programs. They are just a pure scam and instead of investing money in them, you should either save it or invest it in a program that is actually worth it, like an Antivirus program, Microsoft Office, newer version of Windows, etc. If you really need help in "tuning" up your Windows, I can help you do it manually and it'll cost you nothing. Plus, I won't break your system in the process. If you need programs to complete certain tasks, let me know and I'll recommend you some, but not these scams.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,818 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 16 February 2015 - 10:51 AM

FWIW:

Microsoft support policy for the use of registry cleaning utilities - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2563254

Registry cleaner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registry_cleaner

Registry Cleaner FAQ, PC Support - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/registry-cleaner/a/registry-cleaner-faq.htm

Registry Cleaner, Animal - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/526247/tune-up-utilities-2014-problem/?p=3303494

Louis

#6 rhino1366

rhino1366

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 21 February 2015 - 12:25 AM

Hi. I understand your issue with that slow netbook.....

So I can recommend those applications:

1. Glary Utilities. This one is BEST of a freeware world. a website: http://www.glarysoft.com/glary-utilities/
2. YL Computing WinUtilities Free. This one is fair, on 4 stars out of 5 (because of some file defragmentation engine issues). a website: http://hi.ylcomputing.com/products/winutilities-free

3a. Piriform's CCleaner (for cleaning Windows). 3b. Piriform's Defraggler (for file defragmentations). A very popular software / and software vendor worldwide.

http://www.piriform.com/

Hope it helps! :)  Luck!

Edit:
There's also Ashampoo. On their site they offer WinOptimizer Free, which is very good at everything.

...here's a link: https://www.ashampoo.com/en/usd/pin/3606/system-software/Ashampoo-WinOptimizer-Free

Ashampoo GmbH has also several offers each year. They can give you a full version software for free, such happens.

Edited by rhino1366, 21 February 2015 - 12:32 AM.

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,190 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2015 - 12:50 AM

rhino, why do you keep on advertising these useless programs despite all the proves and facts against them? These are the worst programs you can install on a system after malware.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#8 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 21 February 2015 - 01:01 AM

So I can recommend those applications:
1. Glary Utilities. This one is BEST of a freeware world. a website: http://www.glarysoft.com/glary-utilities/
2. YL Computing WinUtilities Free. This one is fair, on 4 stars out of 5 (because of some file defragmentation engine issues). a website: http://hi.ylcomputing.com/products/winutilities-free
3a. Piriform's CCleaner (for cleaning Windows). 3b. Piriform's Defraggler (for file defragmentations). A very popular software / and software vendor worldwide.
http://www.piriform.com/

Edit:
There's also Ashampoo. On their site they offer WinOptimizer Free, which is very good at everything.
...here's a link: https://www.ashampoo.com/en/usd/pin/3606/system-software/Ashampoo-WinOptimizer-Free

Ashampoo GmbH has also several offers each year. They can give you a full version software for free, such happens.

I do not understand why you keep recommending useless software to users, rhino. No offense intended, but using them often cause more harm than good.

CCleaner has passed the test of time, and proven itself trustworthy to use (Bleeping Computer offers it for download). Even then an user will need to use caution when cleaning.

On a side note, I rated all mentioned websites (except Piriform's) red on Web of Trust and gave my reason why.

Alex

#9 rhino1366

rhino1366

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2015 - 07:21 AM

I do believe that "Glarysoft" and "Ashampoo" aren't useless softwares. The both are 5-star quality, and Glary even points out that it cleans exact and better than CCleaner.

I do love to advertise software, as I am software analytic. I was cooperating with Auslogics before.

You should really put Glarysoft into trust list of yours, their software is outstanding - easy, efficient, quality (no errors so far).

Edited by rhino1366, 21 February 2015 - 07:21 AM.

#10 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2015 - 09:50 AM

rhino, why do you keep on advertising these useless programs despite all the proves and facts against them? These are the worst programs you can install on a system after malware.

I do not understand why you keep recommending useless software to users, rhino. ...CCleaner has passed the test of time, and proven itself trustworthy to use...
On a side note, I rated all mentioned websites (except Piriform's) red on Web of Trust and gave my reason why.

Alex

I do believe that "Glarysoft" and "Ashampoo" aren't useless softwares...

I do love to advertise software, as I am software analytic....

Whatever floats yer boat I always say. YMMV.  I use CCleaner, Autoruns, Everything search 3rd party, everything else native to Windoze... currently using mostly SSD's so no defrag tool but used to use Piriform's Defraggler.

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,190 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2015 - 11:35 AM

I don't have a problem with Glary Utilities, since it seems more advanced than the others because it's a LOT of manual tweaks that you have to know yourself, otherwise it won't work. But for the others, they are just plainly bad. Is "Software Analytic" your real job rhino?

unite_blue.png

#12 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2015 - 12:48 PM

Does he have a real job?lol The problem with the junk he wants to recommend is all these companies use false advertising and exaggerated claims to fool the average user. Even if they aren't scams, they all behave like scams. There was a guy who was on BC a while back who has a legit product. I remember seeing him on the CBC TV show Dragon's Den. But his ads make the product look like a scam. It's all so confusing to the average user that the best rule is to stay away from all of them. Besides, most of the stuff these products claim to do can be done within Windows. And some things like registry cleaning are unnecessary. Just for the record, the only extra apps I have are Revo and I use CCleaner to automatically delete junk files etc. because it's the only product that can be set to do that automatically. I don't use CCleaner for anything else. I don't think any of these other products are necessary for the average user.

#13 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,190 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2015 - 01:06 PM

Was the product on Dragon's Den some kind of live bootable USB that was used to clean malicious files? RescueMeStick or something like that?

Edited by Aura., 21 February 2015 - 01:06 PM.

unite_blue.png

#14 rhino1366

rhino1366

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2015 - 01:19 PM

Yeass, I have two jobs - a software analytic, and translator of large texts, for firms and TV shows.

Aura, so you've tested / ran it? ...how you like Glarysoft Utilities? :)

CCleaner - of course, everyone in this world on today uses it. That's none of a doubt.

So I just don't get it, why to use a bunch of low quality 3-stars applications that you've gathered, making mistakes, but not to use a one or two complex products that are quality and famous? Pick that Glary and you will be overally happy! - all in one, and as I usually test and did tested, its registry cleaner module is amazing and outstanding - it will dust-out all that is redundants and what is unneeded, System's clotter as they say at iolo (sounds a bit cat alike, haha).

CCleaner. Maintaining Windows' registry hives after installations / or uninstallations, or when sorting big amounts of data on disk, or after Windows Updates, constant - is IMPORTANT. Just as this. It will damage, it will damage - CCleaner won't damage your nests, Glarysoft too, Ashampoo too, Auslogics too. There is a backup function! - A. Always run "check partition for errors" before cleaning the registry - B. That's it on it.

...So again telling me it's not okay to use re re registry c cleaners - we didn't argued, we've already discussed it. Use if you want, use if you like to do it. Most people are not afraid to.

Edited by rhino1366, 21 February 2015 - 01:20 PM.

#15 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,190 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2015 - 01:23 PM

Maintaining Windows' registry hives after installations / or uninstallations, or when sorting big amounts of data on disk, or after Windows Updates, constant - is IMPORTANT

Tell me what it is important? Show me proofs, show me studies, show me something official and recognized that shows us that Registry cleaners are good. There's absolutely none. I'll be straightforward with your, your software advice are harmful to this community and it's users and I hope no one listens to you on these PC Booster programs, this is the worst thing you can deliberately install on a Windows system. And to be honest, just by seeing your posts around BC I really, really doubt that you are a Software Analytic. Why? Because you ask way too many questions you should be able to answer by yourself.

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users