Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Main Hdd As E:\

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Nick_R_23

Nick_R_23

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 26 June 2006 - 05:39 PM

Hey everyone I just got my computer finished, and I went into my computer and it lists the HDD as E:. The C: drive is the ZIP250 drive, and D: is the DVD drive. The HDD is a SATA, and I used a PCI SATA Host controller card since the motherboard doesnt have a SATA port. Everything seems to have installed fine, I was just wondering if there was any long term things that wonk work because of this or if I can switch the drive letters.

Thanks

-Nick

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 blahson100

blahson100

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 26 June 2006 - 05:46 PM

There should be no problems due to it being e:. Most programs i've worked with automatically just pic the drive with the os on it. Worst case sinario...i'd say you would have to manually choose the drive letter upon installing a new program.

as for changing the letter, I don't know. Personally, I wouldn't care. Maybe if you do some toying, bt you risk skrewin up the os, bios, plain programs, or just the computer in general.

Blahson

#3 Daniel3679

Daniel3679

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 26 June 2006 - 06:18 PM

hiya nick if your using xp pro go into control pannel and click on administrative tools then click computer managment then on the left under storage there should be disk managment click on that then at the top all your drives should be listed right click on the drive you want to change the letter and choose change drive letter and paths then if you click on change you should be able to change the drive letter to whatever you want.

Hope thats any help mate

(It could work in xp home too)
Dan - If its not broken dont fix it

Posted Image

#4 Nick_R_23

Nick_R_23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2006 - 06:27 PM

Hey I can change the drive letter in Admin tools but it says it has to change the boot sector or something so i guess i'd have to reinstall to change it. The main thing i was concerned about is if this was gonna mess anything up not having the HDD as C:\.

Thanks

-Nick

#5 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 26 June 2006 - 06:57 PM

Was you OS always on the E:\ drive? Or did it change recently? If it was always there, there may be problems with a series of programs working if you go and change it. But, as far as I know, it doesn't really matter what drive letter it is assigned.
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#6 Nick_R_23

Nick_R_23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2006 - 07:01 PM

No this is a brand new install of XP Pro just a few hours ago. I opened up my computer and just noticed it that way.

-Nick

#7 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 26 June 2006 - 07:05 PM

I guess you could give it a go (you call not mine!! But I probably would anyway! heheh). To do it though, you'll probably need to change the ZIP250 to drive F:, then the HDD to drive C:, then the ZIP250 back to drive E:. Good Luck!
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users