Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

LinuxLive & verifying the checksum problems

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 RB_Kandy

RB_Kandy

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 16 February 2015 - 04:00 AM

I'm wanting to try Mint 17.1 Rebecca Cinnamon on a flash drive, so I used LinuxLive creator, and it said there were no online mirrors.

So I decided to google for some places where I could download the ISO.

I found a place http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=172

It has a ton of mirrors. I downloaded one, and then I ran MD5 (a program I have never used before) on the downloaded ISO, and the checksum was different than the one stated on the website. So I downloaded another one, it gave me a completely different checksum. I downloaded a third, and again a completely different checksum from the other 2, and different from the number it's supposed to be.

So I decided to go ahead and just use LinuxLive on one of the downloaded versions. It said the ISO was not on the compatibility list, but it would try to install using parameters for 17.1 mate. I figured, cinnamon, mate, maybe the parameters are the same. But after creating it, it does not work. Will not boot, nor will it run in virtualbox. I just get an error that the kernel is corrupt.

So, a few questions.

1. Why am I getting a different checksum each time I download from a different mirror?

2. How come it's not on LinuxLive's compatibility list, is it because the desktop version is not the same as what's needed to make a USB bootable OS?

3. How can I get this distro, should I just give it another try each day in hopes that LinuxLive will find an online mirror?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shadow-warrior

shadow-warrior

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 16 February 2015 - 02:12 PM

The MD5 should be the same..  You could try getting the ISO as a Torrent    you could also try running the ISO in virtualbox without linuxlive...

I have never used Linuxlive so cant comment   but I used http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/ in the past...

I seem to remember reading that some USB installers dont work with some distros  as good as others..

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,682 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 16 February 2015 - 03:34 PM

I have just downloaded the Linux Mint 17.1 "Rebecca" - Cinnamon (64-bit) ISO from here  Internode

This is an Australian link.

MD5 is fine.

workspace-1_001.png

I only use Unetbootin to create a Live usb.

http://youtu.be/V8HgWh_eDS4

How to burn a live CD or DVD

Notice:  This applies only to Windows 7 and Windows 8, earlier versions do not have this.

1.  Place a blank CD or DVD in the tray of your optical drive and close the tray.

2.  After you have downloaded the ISO image you want to burn right click on the Start orb, then choose Windows Explorer.

3.  When Explorer opens click on Downloads in the left pane.  Scroll down till you find the ISO file you want and double click on it.  Click on Burn Disk Image.

4.  In the image below you will see Disk burner:, this should be set to the optical drive you want to use.  Click on Verify disc after burning if you want to Windows to verity the disc image after burn.  Click on burn.

burndiskimage1_zpsb502b181.png

5.  In the image below you can see that the green progress bar, when the image is finished burning the bar will be filled.

burndiskimage2_zps17a9d6ff.png

6.  After the image has completed being burned click on Close.

#4 Guest_Kaosu_*

Guest_Kaosu_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 February 2015 - 11:03 AM

I'm wanting to try Mint 17.1 Rebecca Cinnamon on a flash drive, so I used LinuxLive creator, and it said there were no online mirrors.

So I decided to google for some places where I could download the ISO.

I found a place http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=172

It has a ton of mirrors. I downloaded one, and then I ran MD5 (a program I have never used before) on the downloaded ISO, and the checksum was different than the one stated on the website. So I downloaded another one, it gave me a completely different checksum. I downloaded a third, and again a completely different checksum from the other 2, and different from the number it's supposed to be.

So I decided to go ahead and just use LinuxLive on one of the downloaded versions. It said the ISO was not on the compatibility list, but it would try to install using parameters for 17.1 mate. I figured, cinnamon, mate, maybe the parameters are the same. But after creating it, it does not work. Will not boot, nor will it run in virtualbox. I just get an error that the kernel is corrupt.

So, a few questions.

1. Why am I getting a different checksum each time I download from a different mirror?

2. How come it's not on LinuxLive's compatibility list, is it because the desktop version is not the same as what's needed to make a USB bootable OS?

3. How can I get this distro, should I just give it another try each day in hopes that LinuxLive will find an online mirror?

Problem 1:

The most common cause of hashes not matching the downloaded file(s) is often due to bad downloads. Are you using a wireless network to download? Is the connection stable? Are you using a download manager? There could be so many variables causing this particular issue, but I have personally seen this type of behavior when users download the image(s) using an unstable wireless connection.

A user on this board was once having a lot of problems with a Linux Mint installation, which all seemed rather odd. It turned out that the user had downloaded the image file while connected to an unstable public wireless network, and the installation image was corrupt (hash mismatch), so this is the first thing I would look at when addressing such an issue.

I have just downloaded Linux Mint using http://reflection.oss.ou.edu/linuxmint/isos/linuxmint.com//stable/17.1/linuxmint-17.1-cinnamon-64bit.iso and everything worked normally. Try using this mirror once you are certain you're on a stable connection.

Lastly, it is possible that the hash mismatch is caused by the file being modified, but I sincerely doubt so many mirrors would be affected without some sort of announcement. Plus, other people are able to download from random mirrors with no issue, so the problem is likely on your end.

Problem 2:

Why are you trying to boot from a USB device if you're using a virtual machine? You can just place the installation image in the virtual drive of the virtual machine and run it as if the image itself was a bootable device. However, if you really do want to create a bootable USB device for this purpose, I would follow this: http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/create-a-usb-stick-on-windows

I have used the recommended software before and it works well for most mainstream distributions.

Problem 3:

No, don't wait on LinuxLive. Follow the recommendation I have given above (http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/create-a-usb-stick-on-windows) and download the installation image separately. While LinuxLive may not be causing the problem (most likely the bad images are the culprit), but using another program could rule this out for sure. Additionally, I think the recommended software is very easy to use, and the Ubuntu website makes it even easier by providing a tutorial with screenshots.

Edited by Kaosu, 17 February 2015 - 11:11 AM.

#5 RB_Kandy

RB_Kandy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2015 - 11:39 PM

I want to thank everyone for their help.

I now got the version I wanted (Rebecca), I also got the Debian version of mint 17.1 on another flash drive.

And I am most satisfied with the Ubuntu variant (Rebecca).

I used shadow-warrior's advice and used the universal USB creator.

And I got my copy of the distro from NickAu's link.

And now for my long winded TL;DR

So I got what I wanted, I am seriously loving Mint. Everyone told me if I wanted to give Linux a second chance (my only experience is Ubuntu 12 something, unity) to go with Mint 17.1 Ubuntu, Cinnamon or MATE, or possibly the Debian version of Mint.

I have to say I really like Mint GUI, and I like the Cinnamon GUI, and I think I might try getting back into Linux.

And for people saying why not run it in a virtual box; well I want an OS 100% independent from Windows. I need a system I can trust to pay bills on. I have never visited my bank or typed in my credit card on my Windows because it's... compromised (for lack of any other word) I just got so much questionable stuff on there, even if virus detectors say it's clean, I just don't trust the system to not be spying on me, and as much as I tinker with installing anything and everything, I just don't feel it's a safe system to enter bank information on.

Also the few times I've gotten any distro to run in virtual box from Windows, it has run so sluggish. And I have a super fast SanDisk Extreme USB 3.0 flash drive, so I wanted to have an up to date alternative OS for banking, and in case I damage my Primary OS and can't boot into it, at least I got Linux to let me explore the problem, and at the very least, as a last resort, pull essential data off the primary drive and put it on a secondary drive to do a clean windows install. So it's always good to have a portable backup OS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users