Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rnadom(?) shutdowns

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Anon5

Anon5

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 16 February 2015 - 01:41 AM

Hello, to whoever see's this.

Fist off,  I have a Gateway laptop FX 6860 originally with Vista on it. I've had this thing 6+ years and at one point it started shuting down randomly.   After a while  I got tired of it, wiped the drive and installed ubuntu on it. Still had the shutdown problem.  The strangest part is that it quit after a while, and have had no problems in the past year or so, until a week ago. (makes absolutly no sence to me, unless it's all the updates?) Other than updates, i have made absolutly no changes to this thing.

I've taken some notes that will hopefully help.

When I'm on the Ubuntu log-on screen it stays on, but once I hit the desktop, withing 20 seconds in shuts down then boots back up.  It will do this 3-5 times and be fine for maybe 20 min. then shut back down. Or it will stay on for a few hours.

Battery and power cord - shutdown / bootup

Just the battery - shutdown / no boot up

Just the power cord - shutdown / boot up

Guest session - shut down

Fan does come on at bootup

Shutdown wether fan is on or off.

There have also been bios beeps, once every few months, unsure if this is relevent to issue.

Taken laptop apart cleaned out everything and new thermal paste.

Stayed on long enough where i went through disk utilitys, said the disk is healthy and temp was 20deg.- 86deg.

I've tried to go through Gateways driver/bios update but found nothing

So the only thing that i come up with is the MOBO or video card is giving up, though everything seems fine while its up.

What do you guys think?

Thanks.

Edited by Anon5, 16 February 2015 - 03:57 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RB_Kandy

RB_Kandy

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2015 - 04:31 AM

Well, off hand I don't know anything about your specific model. But if it's a laptop, I don't think it has a graphics card. I've never encountered a lap top with a dedicated (removable) graphics card; they're all integrated into the motherboard.

If that were going bad, I don't think a restart would be the outcome; a black or corrupt screen maybe.

If there is no locking up, or blue screen of death, my money is on it being the battery. But that's just a guess.

Now you said one of the combinations was power cord only? So I'm guessing this thing can actually bypass the battery? Like you could physically remove the battery and just plug it into a wall?

If that's the case, than we can rule out battery and my guess would be MOBO is dying. But again, this is only me guessing.

I remember I had a issue with an old desktop where it would keep rebooting. Turns out the new graphics card was too power hungry for the old PSU, and during heavy GPU usage, the card would pull more watts than the aging PSU could deliver. The result was rebooting when gaming.

#3 Anon5

Anon5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2015 - 01:26 PM

I don't think it has a graphics card. I've never encountered a lap top with a dedicated (removable) graphics card; they're all integrated into the motherboard.

-Yes, sorry, not sure what I was thinking there.

Now you said one of the combinations was power cord only? So I'm guessing this thing can actually bypass the battery? Like you could physically remove the battery and just plug it into a wall?

- Yes, this is possible

If that's the case, than we can rule out battery and my guess would be MOBO is dying. But again, this is only me guessing.
              -Yes, this is what I'm thinking to, but the thing is, it went at least a year without shuting down like that and I use it almost everyday.

Also, if I remember right, while it had vista, I viewed the event log and everytime it shutdown, it showed an unexpected shutdown.

Thankyou for the reply

#4 RB_Kandy

RB_Kandy

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2015 - 10:22 PM

Here's something you can try, maybe running an entirely different Linux. Maybe download a live distro on to a DVD or Flash drive.

Also, might want to reset your bios to factory default.

A clean bios and a brand new OS, is guaranteed to rule out software issues, settings, and hibernation cycles, and all that.

If after a bios reset, a live linux distro like 17.1 mint debian, is acting just like your ubuntu, we can rule out software, and nail it as hardware, to which I'm guessing it's the mobo. Probably some of the capacitors on the board just getting old. 

#5 Anon5

Anon5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2015 - 01:28 AM

Alright, I will take this thing apart again and check out the capacitors real quick and go from there.

Trying to get this stupid docking station to work, but of course, there something wrong thats preventing it from showing the files. So I can't transfer my files so i can do a fresh install.

Though, I can do the bios reset and see if that doesn't help.

Wonder if it would shut down just on live mode? Have to check that out.

Thankyou for the help, sir

#6 Anon5

Anon5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2015 - 02:35 AM

You know, I f***king hate computers.

The first time I've take this thing fully apart and back together the main power button and touch pad stopped working(has a secondary power button).  Took it apart again, now the stupid thing wont even power on, i know the battery had a good charge on it.  And now for what ever reason the charger is dead. 

WTF MAN :ranting:  I think it's time for a new laptop.

Edited by Anon5, 17 February 2015 - 03:09 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users