Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard Types " /* " Repeatedly, Need To Know If This Maybe A Virus

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 thenextgen

thenextgen

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 15 February 2015 - 08:27 PM

Hi everyone, 

I use a wireless Logitech keyboard, Model K800 and yesterday it started typing the characters / and * randomly. I tried the following tests to determine the problem:

1.) I turned off my keyboard and disconnected the USB dongle, but it was a no go.
2.) I ran a Mal-Ware Bytes scan and Windows Defender scan in Safe Mode, but nothing showed up. Also, ran a CCleaner sweep to clean things up. Even after all this, the problem persisted. 
3.) Uninstalled the keyboard from the Device Manager, but that did not work either.
4.) Tried cleaning my keyboard, but the keys were not stuck.
5.) I tried to disable the sticky key option and other keyboard options, but problem still persisted. 

When I boot my computer up, I hear sounds like keys are being pressed. 

However, when I am in Safe Mode, the problem stops. Could it be a software problem? Does this problem sound like a Virus or Trojan?

Sorry, forgot to mention, I am running Windows 8.1 and my computer is about 6-7 years old. Don't know if this is relevant, but thought I would put that in there.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 15 February 2015 - 09:36 PM.
Moved to External Hardware. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thenextgen

thenextgen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2015 - 08:30 PM

I think I posted this in the wrong section, so sorry. Can a Mod move this to the appropriate section? Thank You

#3 Jayson201

Jayson201

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 16 February 2015 - 08:50 PM

Possibly it is a driver issue, evident by the issue stopping when you enter safe mode. Safe mode only loads essential drivers, not the extras or the special ones for each component. Thats why your fancy 1080p reverts to 800x600 in safe mode.
You say you've already attempted to address it as a driver issue, maybe the usb dongle itself is bugging out? Have you tried switching USB ports? How old is the keyboard?

#4 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 17 February 2015 - 10:56 AM

The simply way to test this is to try another keyboard. :spidy:

I am sure you have a neighbor or someone who can let you borrow a wired keyboard and test it out for 5 mins.

Then you will know if its the keyboard or something in the computer. driver/malware you cant find.. etc..

I suspect its is most certainly the keyboard.

#5 thenextgen

thenextgen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2015 - 05:49 PM

Sorry for the late update, I tried another wireless keyboard and the problem went away. Maybe it is the USB dongle for my old keyboard, I plan to buy another one and try it out. Thank you for the help everyone. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users