Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cleanup!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 vicmax

vicmax

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 26 June 2006 - 05:09 PM

Hi everybody

Ive just recently downloaded the programme 'Cleanup' after remembering someone advising it on here, but i recollect they also advised only to have certain items checked or you can lose too much data.
So can anyone advise me on what to tick and what not to.

Alsoif anyone can be so kind, what does each option actually fully do and delete?
Im new to all this and wish to learn as much as i can and feel im in the right place (BC)

Thanks

Vicmax :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 27 June 2006 - 12:30 AM

You are very smart to be careful whenever you use such applications; blindly accepting everything they recommend can do serious harm to your programmes and applications.
Some information about its use can be found beginning here:

http://www.stevengould.org/software/cleanup/running.html

Their FAQs might answer your questions:

http://www.stevengould.org/software/cleanup/faq.html

Hope this will help.
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 vicmax

vicmax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 27 June 2006 - 05:43 PM

Thank you for those posts jgweed, but i still dont know whats right to tick and what isnt!
Is CCleaner the same thing as Cleanup?
Thanks again :thumbsup:

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 27 June 2006 - 06:00 PM

No, CCleaner is more thorough, at times much TOO thorough; we recommend it only for very experienced users because using it without careful inspection of its deletion candidates can really cause problems.
Unfortunately, I do not use Cleanup! but do most of what it does manually, so I cannot advise you about its practical use.
Have you used the Windows disk cleanup utility?
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users