Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Pavillion Start-Up Issue - Blinking Orange Light

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 srossi

srossi

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 15 February 2015 - 07:30 PM

Hello, I just moved into a new house and I only have access to my smartphone right now so hope this is the proper forum. I have an HP Pavilion Model No. P7-1170t. I unhooked my PC and set it up in the new house. When I turned it on, it beeped with a flashing orange light 5 times repeatedly. I KNOW that if wasn't damaged during them move as I brought it over myself and it was never even jostled. I may, however, be using a different power cord as I'm not sure if this is the same one, but it seems to fit fine. Could that be the issue, and if not what can I do? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,683 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2015 - 08:58 PM

The power cord could be the problem. Do you have another you can substitute? Is there a green led on the back of the PSU of this HP model? Is it solid green? Have you tried plugging into a different outlet. If you use a surge protector, try connecting directly to the wall outlet.

You can also try powercycling the computer. Remove the power cord. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Attach the power cord and see if the computer now boots.

#3 srossi

srossi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2015 - 09:36 PM

Thanks for the speedy reply. Yes, there is a solid green led light on the back of the PC. I also should have the original power cord somewhere but can't find it right now. I have tried a 2nd power cord though from another computer and the same thing is happening. Powercycling has not worked.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,683 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2015 - 11:09 PM

From what I have read a flashing orange light relates to the PSU. Unplug the power cord. Open the case and ground yourself on some bare metal. Check the connection of the power cable to the MB and CPU. Also check the power cable from the front panel to the the header on the motherboard.

If you have a multimeter you can check the PSU outputs. See the video here. It is not a definite check because a PSU can check okay but fail under load.

You can check this page also for troubleshooting a hp computer that does not start.

#5 srossi

srossi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2015 - 05:18 PM

I opened the casing and tightened the connections and blew some dust out of the system and everything seems to be fine now.  Thanks for your help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users