Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Just heard about this site

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 wd9irr

wd9irr

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 15 February 2015 - 07:27 PM

Hello everyone! I am a computer user and try to help my fellow church members with their computers at times.
Just ran into a problem with a friend's computer using Windows 8.1 where her computer locks up at times.

The only thing I have found so far is in her IE browser, under tools, the internet settings is greyed out when she logs into Facebook. Doesn't seem to be consistent, however.

A friend told me about this site thing it was a "rootkit" but so far I have found no rootkits or viruses.

Anyone seen anything like this?

Thanks for your help, Ken.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 996 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 16 February 2015 - 08:00 AM

Hello wd9irr and welcome to Bleeping Computer. :welcome:

Sorry to hear about your friends computer, I suspect you'll find all the good help you'll need here.

I see you've already posted another very similar post in the Windows 8 Forum, so you're on the right track.

If you can, I would also include as much information about the computer that you can in posts like these: 

• Is it a desktop?
  • Laptop?
  • Make?
  • Model?

A friend told me about this site thing it was a "rootkit" but so far I have found no rootkits or viruses.

Anyone seen anything like this?

And when you post that "you haven't found anything so far", please include steps or applications that you've used to get here.

Did you perform a Full Scan(s) and if so, with what?

All that info helps the Helpers and, hopefully, will help you solve the issues a bit faster.

Best of luck.

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users