Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DATA RECOVERY ON EXTERNAL HDD

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 NECHS1995

NECHS1995

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 15 February 2015 - 06:51 PM

Hi-

I had a question about data recovery on an external hdd. I am trying to recover data from a hdd that is telling me that it needs to be formatted before windows 7 will recognize it. There is data that I am trying to recover so it has not been formatted yet. 

I had used a program a few years ago to fix a similiar issue but I cant remember what the name of the program was. It worked great, recovered all my files from a formatted partition. I beleive it was a free program and was able to recover all the files, which was over 20g worth. I dont recall having to pay anything for the full version in order to recover the files. I have found several trial programs but you have to pay to recover the data and I dont recall having to do so with this program. Does anyone know the name of a similiar program? Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,004 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 15 February 2015 - 08:59 PM

When looking at the drive in Disk Managment does it show as RAW?

#3 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 17 February 2015 - 05:28 PM

The problem with most ' free ' solutions is that they typically involve also installing a potentially unwanted program along with the program you want.  Here is a list of free programs however I cannot endorse any as I have not used any of them and I don't know which one would be less likely to have accompanying unwanted software with it.  But it may jog your memory on the program you were looking for.

#4 Citizen_WD

Citizen_WD

Authorized Western Digital Rep

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 18 February 2015 - 05:25 AM

Hi and welcome, 

It would be great if you give more details about the hard drive and the PC you're using. 
First of all, as JohnC_21 said - check what Disk Management says. RAW format usually means the OS can't read / doesn't see any information in the MBR/partition table to recognize any data, so it might be corrupted/erased. If that is your case you can try several options, but before that - keep in mind that the best solution for important data is Data Recovery Company.  
If you choose to do a recovery yourself you can try booting the computer with Linux Live CD, as this is a popular and easy way to read from corrupt partitions. Also take a look here: http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/bootcons_fixmbr.mspx?mfr=true

You can, of course, try a data recovery software as well - there are many cases of success, but there is no 100 % solution to your problem. I'll keep my fingers crossed. 

Citizen_WD

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 18 February 2015 - 06:18 AM

I've had the most success with TestDisk in a situation like this. If the problem is caused by a corrupted partition table, which is a likely scenario I've recently sorted for a friend, TestDisk is good at locating the reserve copy if it is undamaged, and restoring it. You can assess from the file contents it lists for you if it has found a matching partition table and file directory. If restoring it is successful, it's then unnecessary to go through a file recovery process, the original files become accessible again.

In any situation like this it's possible the file system is damaged enough to make recovery difficult, and the drive itself may be faulty. However if it's clear that the problem was caused by something like an unsafe removal, and restoring the partition table brings it back totally, then the drive can continue to be just as serviceable as before. Thorough testing would be wise.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Download

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users