Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WindowsUpdateIssues+WindowsTroubleshooterIssues

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 wildbug123

wildbug123

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 15 February 2015 - 06:18 PM

When trying to Install Windows Updates or Run some of the Windows Troubleshooters on my Desktop, I get this error:
A problem is preventing the troubleshooter from starting.  I've been reading through the forums, but have yet to find an answer.
Another probably unrelated issue, but a pesty one nontheless is that my Wacom Tablet Driver fails to run most of the time when Rebooting.  All in all, my Desktop Computer has also been acting a little "off" for a few months now, but I haven't been able to take time to address any of these issues until now due to personal Health Issues.  

Linked is the CBS.log from when I ran sfc/scannow awhile back.  Not sure if it's still pertinent or not.  

CBS.log

Edited by wildbug123, 15 February 2015 - 06:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,857 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 15 February 2015 - 06:35 PM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

#3 wildbug123

wildbug123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2015 - 07:52 PM

Thanks hamluis, I really appreciate the help.

I've also included a Windows Update Log that I did a second ago.

SPECCY LINK

MiniToolBoxResults

WINDOWS UPDATE LOG

#4 Go The Power

Go The Power

• BC Advisor
  • 525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 16 February 2015 - 06:50 AM

Hello,

Please follow the instructions Here to run the System Update Readiness Tool. When the SURT finishes installing, copy (Ctrl + C) and paste (Ctrl + V) the contents of the SURT log into your next post please:

C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log

C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.persist.log

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,857 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 16 February 2015 - 10:39 AM

The drive on which Windows is installed is overheating, reflects status of "Warning".

This can directly effect the performance of Windows, of course, since it lies on the drive..

I would run the Western Digital hard drive diagnostic tool on the drive.  In this case, I would use the DOS tool rather than the Windows version.

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=612&sid=2&lang=en

IME, there is little that can be done to force the hard drive temperature down, which I would interpret as a possible need to replace the drive, pending results of the diagnostic.

Louis

#6 gjoseph

gjoseph

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 16 February 2015 - 11:53 AM

Try a search for 'Windows update error 80245008', it will at the bottom of a list of errors. Give it a shot, also when following the directions be sure to open the tab dependencies to see if other items are not on.

Sorry, wrong number, try 80246008.

#7 wildbug123

wildbug123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2015 - 07:44 PM

I've been trying to boot from USB off and on today.  No luck so far, as it doesn't seem to see the drive for some reason.  I've tried all the USB ports.  Still trying.  In the meantime, here's the link to the CheckSurlogs

#8 wildbug123

wildbug123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2015 - 06:52 PM

hamluis,
I've been trying to boot from USB for the past few days with no luck.
I've done this in the past while running memtest so I'm not sure what the issue is.  I've even tried running MobaLiveCD_v2.1 to test if the USB, but I just run into additional issues (both on Laptop & Desktop).

The USB is a 128MB stick which takes the files fine.
My Motherboard is: EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-KR LGA 1366 SATA 6Gbs USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Which runs Phoenix AwardBios.

I've created the Bootable USB using WDC's instructions:
My drive resembles Figure 7 when completed.

The steps I take are:
1) When Restarting I press DEL to take me into the Boot Menu
2) From there I select Removable
3) No Bootable Device found

I've also tried switching my Boot Priority making my First Boot Device: Removable

QUESTIONS:
Is my issue definitely related to HD failure and does everything else appear to be in check?
Even if the issue's unrelated does it appear that I need to replace that HD?
Can I backup that HD to a new HD, which is my Programs Drive, or does the drive contain corrupt files?
Is there anything else I can try in order to run the diagnostics?
Is there anything else I can try to be able to update Windows?
I overclocked my RAM awhile back, which is new to me, but I'm assuming that's unrelated from the TEMPERATURE Warnings..?
gjoseph: 80246008?

#9 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 942 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 17 February 2015 - 07:41 PM

- Perhaps the "hot" HDD is placed between two other HDDs ? If so, then move the drive to a slot/place where it's more exposed to the airflow inside your desktop case. It certainly would help to lower the temperature of the HDD.

- I see that Windows tries to install one (or more ??) update(s) but somewhere in the process it fails and then retries to install it the next day. Suggestion: Run "Tweaking's Windows Repair"

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/windows-repair-all-in-one/

Follow the instructions provided. Disable Internet & AV. Make a backup with the program. Run the repair in Safe Mode with all boxes ticked. The program takes some 20 to 30 minutes to complete all repairs, depending on the amount of files.

- I certainly would NOT recommend to overclock ANYTHING (!!!!) unless you know what you're doing. There're A LOT OF other tricks to improve overall system performance.

#10 wildbug123

wildbug123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2015 - 10:48 PM

Just finished running Windows Repair All In One.  At the bottom is a link to all the Log files, including the newest CBS Log.

Had these popus along the way:

from SFC: Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.  Details are included in the CBS.Log

Desktop Gadgets are not available in Safe Mode

unfortunately Windows Update is still not working.

Could this all be related to HD temperature..Or are there other issues with my system.?

If just the HD, would a simple backup & replace fix everything?

CBS & Windows Repair Logs

Thanks = )

#11 Go The Power

Go The Power

• BC Advisor
  • 525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 19 February 2015 - 01:21 AM

Nothing obvious stands out in the CBS logs.

Please run Windows update, let it fail then upload the following logs:

Convert CBS.log to CBS.txt
  • Click on the Win7Orb_zps4dae3b32.jpg button => Inside the search box copy and paste the following command:
    cmd /c copy %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log "%userprofile%\Desktop\cbs.txt"
  • Press Enter
  • Once this has completed please go to your Desktop and you will find CBS.txt => Please upload CBS.txt to this thread
Please Note:: if the file is too big to upload to you next post please upload via Dropbox or One Drive

Windows Update Log
  • Click on the Start button -> Inside the search box copy and paste the following command
    cmd /c copy %windir%\WindowsUpdate.log "%userprofile%\Desktop\WindowsUpdate.txt"
  • Please go to your desktop and attach WindowsUpdate.txt to your next post

Edited by Go The Power, 19 February 2015 - 01:22 AM.

#12 wildbug123

wildbug123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2015 - 08:35 PM

I tried running a bunch of Windows HotFixes yesterday, nothing seemed to work.

It didn't create the CBS to the Desktop so I grabbed it from the Windows Log directory, hope that's works:

CBS.log

It should be mentioned, as far as I can tell, it's the same Update each time too:

KB3024777

WindowsUpdate created fine on the Desktop:

WindowsUpdate.txt

Thanks for everyones help thus far

#13 wildbug123

wildbug123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2015 - 04:57 PM

Hey, just checking back in 

#14 wildbug123

wildbug123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2015 - 11:17 PM

Update: KB3024777 removes a previous update named KB3004394. So I performed a clean boot & uninstalled KB3004394 which then allowed me to successfully install KB3024777 which seemed to be the reason Windows Update wasn't working.  I then installed the 40+ updates that were not showing up due to these two screwy updates.

I'm still concerned about 3 things:

1) hamluis mentioned that the program Hard Drive is overheating, and reflects status of "Warning".

Everywhere I've checked I'm not seeing any indication of this.  Where is this indicated?  And is it necessary to get a new drive?

2) I still haven't figured out why the Bootable USB's not working, when I know it did in the past.

3) The Wacom Driver still fails to load on restart.

Any help on any or all these issues is greatly appreciated = )

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users