Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Getting a gift from my son.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 The Dude Abides

The Dude Abides

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 15 February 2015 - 05:42 PM

When my son gets his tax money this year. He is going to upgrade his PC. (Which is a really good PC.)

He likes his online gaming. Me, I just do alot of streeming. I don't pay for cable TV anymore. The PC I have is a mini board that was on clearance at the time I got it. So it's a cheap as I could find at the time.

So my question is: What's going to happen when I put my Windows home pro 7 hard drive into this PC? Will I have to re-register it? Will Windows make me pay out more money? I've not done this before. And don't know what to do or what to expect.

Thanks ahead of time.

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 15 February 2015 - 05:47 PM.
Moved to System building and upgrading

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 15 February 2015 - 06:04 PM

There is only one time I ever stuck a hard drive -with an OS on it- from one computer into another system, and then attempted to boot off of it. As I recall, windows was constantly giving me error messages and prompting me to insert the original install disk, which I didn't have.

If you do not have original install disk  for Win7, you might have to come up with a new plan.

There might be a way to create an install disk if you have a dvd burner in your computer or a thumb drive.

Edited by yu gnomi, 15 February 2015 - 06:06 PM.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,965 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 15 February 2015 - 06:08 PM

That I should get such tax money !

What you can do with your present HDD depends on what your son is going to  do. If he is going to buy or build a complete new computer then your best and simplest bet is to persuade him to hand you his present one complete and intact - obviously less his personal data etc..  If a monetary consideration for this would be inappropriate then perhaps a bottle or two of sipping whisky might do the trick.

If this is what happens, then you won't need your HDD to run it, but you could install it as a secondary drive for data storage and you would have no problems with changing operating systems, you would just use the OS that is presently on the computer.

If however he intends giving you this computer minus hard drive(s) and possibly other bits and pieces, then I can be 99% sure that your OS will not work in it. Apart from the fact that your hard drive doesn't have any of the drivers for his hardware on it, there is the problem of the Windows licence.

There are two types of Windows licence - retail and OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturers). If you have a retail licence then you can transfer it from one computer to another, but I suspect you have an OEM license and these are tied to the motherboard and cannot be moved from one computer to another. So, try hard to persuade him to give you the computer complete !

If he is unable to give you computer complete, then you can use your hard drive in it, but you will need a new copy of Windows and you will need to install all the drivers needed for his computer. These include the chipset drivers and all the others - audio, video, printer and so on.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2015 - 06:33 PM

Just to elaborate a bit more from the above.

(ahem if your son was a good son ... he'd just give you the entire computer and not just the hard drive)

Typically this does not bode well .. there are drivers installed specifically for the computer that it is currently installed in.  IF you have a full version of windows 7 then YES you can reinstall and I mean re-install the operating system once you install it in yours if thats they way you two decide to go.

Now, you will still need to install drivers that are meant for that computer.. chipset/graphics/nic/ etc..

You usually get these drivers pre -installed on a computer like from dell .. or if you put the pc together those drivers come on a cdrom/dvd

So.. the big question is .. do you have a FULL Version of Windows 7 or an OEM copy? (original equipment manufacter''er)  If it IS OEM then this is not possible per Microsoft licensing .. IF IT IS FULL VERSION then you will typically need to contact microsoft for a new key.  As Windows installations are tied to the motherboard.  There may be a cost involved.

Edited by YeahBleeping, 15 February 2015 - 06:34 PM.

#5 The Dude Abides

The Dude Abides
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 15 February 2015 - 11:01 PM

Sorry I made you all miss understand. He is giving me the complete computer. HDD and all. I just want to use my windows and save my music and videos and other important stuff. I guess I will have to buy a new HDD and transfer all that I want to keep and start from scratch with my retail copy of windows. His drive is only 500GB and mine is 1 TB So I'm going to get another 1 TB and move all of my saving stuff and then restart with a clean install. This old PC that I have now has two mem sticks in it that total 8 GB and it only will see one of them. so I have to run it with only 4 GB of mem for now.

I'm disabled and I've been having to dig up a sewer pipe that normally would have taken only a day. But now it took 56 days to fix. (Couldn't afford the roto-rooter man.)

So my mind was not to deep into writing this first letter. So a new HDD , move my goodies, and start from scratch. I've had to do that before. I think his copy of windows is a upgrade from what I'm using now. Can I move the 500 GB (The one that has the OS on it.)  to a 1 TB drive? Or do I still have to start that all over from scratch?

Sorry for sounding so very tired. But that is just what the problem is. The well has gone dry!!!

#6 shanepearce

shanepearce

• Banned
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 16 February 2015 - 12:48 AM

stop do not buy another drive
you just need to plug that drive in as a second drive find where your files are stored move them to the first drive then clone it to the second drive
http://www.howtogeek.com/199068/how-to-upgrade-your-existing-hard-drive-in-under-an-hour/
or use disk management to resize hard drive (50 / 50) copy your files to second partition
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/resize-a-partition-for-free-in-windows-vista/

"have now has two mem sticks in it that total 8 GB and it only will see one of them. so I have to run it with only 4 GB of mem for now." 4 gigs is the most you can use with 32bit os to use the 8 gigs you will need 64bit os

find link to windows 7 download on this link
http://best-windows.vlaurie.com/boot-disks.html#full
There is a new site at http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-recovery but you have to have a product key for a full retail version of Windows 7 in order to download an ISO. OEM keys do not seem to work. Also, at the moment downloads still seem to be possible from some links that are said to be a mirror of a Microsoft MSDN site. I have not checked out the downloads from these links but the page is here. All responsibility for using these links belongs to the downloader

Edited by shanepearce, 16 February 2015 - 01:02 AM.

#7 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2015 - 06:29 PM

Another consideration is to simply add YOUR OLD hard drive to the new computer and TAKE OWNERSHIP of that drive and just use that OLD DRIVE as storage space/ or whatever..

And as I stated if you have a FULL VERSION of windows, 7 you can install that onto your new computer from your son, you would still need to contact microsoft for a new key and there may be a cost involved.  I suggest doing a complete reinstall because I like a clean install myself.  If your version of windows is OEM this is not possible.  You can still add your OLD drive to the new computer and take ownership of it and have access to all the files.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users