Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Laptop - 4 Beeps Issue

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 sosolidj4tt

sosolidj4tt

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 15 February 2015 - 05:35 PM

Hey everyone!  Its been a while since I last visited this forum for any assistance but now I'm back.   :)

Anyways I have been really stuck with this issue I have had with my Dell Laptop.  So I'll get right into it...

When I boot up my laptop nothing comes up and my computer beeps 4 times.  Knowing it must mean something I did my research I found that it roughly translates to a Memory Read / Write error.  So I switched out the RAM sticks for working RAM sticks I had in another laptop but it still didn't help.  I get the same 4 beep error.  Now I think its a mobo problem but while I was further researching this issue someone on another forum replying to the same 4 beep issue someone else was experiencing told the person to take out both RAM sticks and said if it gives a 2 beep error (which means no RAM sticks are inserted) that means the mobo is functioning properly.

After trying that it did give a 2 beep error.

Anyways I came to Bleeping Computers wondering what you guys think I should do because now I am a bit double-minded as to give up on the laptop because it is a pretty decent laptop for light work.

Edited by sosolidj4tt, 15 February 2015 - 05:37 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,748 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 15 February 2015 - 06:37 PM

It's easy to test your memory:

> Download the (free) ISO of Memtest86+ and burn to a CD.

> Make sure your BIOS is set to CD = 1st Boot Device, HDD = 2nd Boot Device.

>Reboot with the CD in your drive. Allow it to run until you get a message at the bottom of the screen that testing is complete (about 20 minutes). Any red posts at the bottom of the screen means that memory stick is bad.

Test only one (1) stick at a time.

If Memtest will not run or you get error messages, your computer may have other problems than your memory.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 15 February 2015 - 06:43 PM

Excellent suggestion ranch but I think the OP is not getting to a point where the system will boot at all.

Try pulling out the laptop battery and run from a plug in and see if it changes anything.

#4 sosolidj4tt

sosolidj4tt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2015 - 06:43 PM

Would I even be able to access a CD / USB when I have a memory failure and my computer cannot even display a POST message?

Yea u got it right YeaBleeping :)

I'll try it in a second and get back to you on your suggestion.

Edited by sosolidj4tt, 15 February 2015 - 07:24 PM.

#5 sosolidj4tt

sosolidj4tt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2015 - 06:47 PM

UPDATE : Nope.  Removing the baterry and attempting to boot the laptop from outlet still results in the repeating 4 Beep error.

#6 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2015 - 07:00 PM

If you press and hold F2 while you power on the computer does it allow you to enter the bios?

#7 sosolidj4tt

sosolidj4tt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2015 - 07:18 PM

Nope.  No visible change / effect.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,630 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2015 - 07:26 PM

Try running with one stick of RAM. If that does not work, then switch slots with the same RAM module. Maybe it's a bad slot.

#9 sosolidj4tt

sosolidj4tt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2015 - 07:49 PM

Oh my!  JohnC looks like you've just solved it! :o

Okay so it seems as though only the top DIMM slot works for some odd reason. :/

Do you think there is anyway I could resolve this issue?

Thanks so much though! Atleast it boots up now.  A working computer is better thana bleeping computer! ;)

Edited by sosolidj4tt, 15 February 2015 - 07:54 PM.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,630 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2015 - 07:57 PM

I am not sure how you would fix that. Maybe there is some corrosion in the slot itself but I doubt it. Maybe attaching and removing the RAM module a few times would help with that. I would be hesitant to put any kind of liquid in the slot like alcohol. I have heard of people using this on RAM modules but I can't vouche for it.

Edit: If you have some alcohol, wipe the contacts of the RAM module itself and let it dry. That may help.

Edited by JohnC_21, 15 February 2015 - 08:05 PM.

#11 sosolidj4tt

sosolidj4tt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2015 - 08:10 PM

Yea same.  I can't say its impossible for it to be corrosion since I may have split liquid on it before :P but I highly doubt it because it hasn't happened recently (it had to have happen about a year ago I wanna say) and not to mention the DIMM slots aren't under the keyboard or anything its on the underside of the laptop chassis, and for liquid to actually reach all the way to the DIMM slots it must have taken a pretty big journey.

Come to think of it, I did use Gorilla Glue to adhere one of the hinges that I accidentally broke in the process of repairing in the past.  Don't know if Gorilla Glue would cause corrosion.

But hey I can't thank you enough in helping me atleast getting it to work.  I was trying to fix it for hours last week.  Kudos!

Edited by sosolidj4tt, 15 February 2015 - 08:11 PM.

#12 sosolidj4tt

sosolidj4tt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2015 - 08:17 PM

Thank you everyone!  If you have any other suggestions as to how I could repair the other slot definitely let me know.

#13 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,748 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 15 February 2015 - 08:26 PM

My post:

I have been down this road before. :cowboy:

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#14 sosolidj4tt

sosolidj4tt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2015 - 08:31 PM

My post:

I have been down this road before. :cowboy:

Oh man, sorry. I probably missed that since you began by suggesting booting from a cd.  Nice thinking!  I'll run the Memory Diagnostics on a USB by tommorow (doing work for school right now  :)). 

Edited by sosolidj4tt, 15 February 2015 - 08:53 PM.

#15 sosolidj4tt

sosolidj4tt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2015 - 06:06 PM

Okay so it looks the DIMM slot that works passed the Diagnostics.  However now it seems as though I've ran into another strange issue.  For some reason the computer doesnt go into sleep mode when I put down the lid.  : |

When I put down to lid (or enter sleep mode from Windows) the computer simply enters a black screen.  The fans still spin, and the power indicator still glows indicating the computer is still on.  The only way to get out of this intermittent state is to do a hard reset by holding the power button.

Considering I was planning on starting fresh with Windows anyways I went ahead and upgraded to Windows 7 -> 8.1 but the problem still persists.

Quite weird.

Edited by sosolidj4tt, 16 February 2015 - 06:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users