Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Questions about SSD

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 matthijsstok

matthijsstok

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 15 February 2015 - 04:17 PM

Dear all,

I recently built my new desktop, containing a SSD and HDD. It was hard for me to set default downloading and installing location to my SSD, so I remain with some questions:

1: How do I set my default installation location to my HDD? ( it remains on /C)

2: Am I able to delete one single file on my SSD by simply pressing DEL? (People told me that you can not delete a single file by del  on an ssd, the file might dissapear but the space remains occupied)

I am sorry for my bad English, hopefully you could help me.

Regards,

Matthijs

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shanepearce

shanepearce

• Banned
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 15 February 2015 - 06:18 PM

http://www.howtogeek.com/187104/warning-anyone-can-recover-deleted-files-from-your-usb-drives-and-external-ssds/

Solid-state drives work differently. Before any data can be written to a flash memory cell, the cell must first be cleared. New drives come empty, so writing to them is as fast as possible, On a full drive with bits of deleted files lying around, the process of writing to the drive is slower because each cell must first be emptied before it can be written to. This means that solid-state drives tended to slow down over time. TRIM was introduced to fix this. When your operating system deletes a file from an internal solid-state drive, it sends the TRIM command and the drive immediately clears those sectors. This speeds up the process of writing to the sectors in the future and has a side-benefit of making it practically impossible to recover deleted files from an internal solid-state drive.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 15 February 2015 - 06:27 PM

Changing the default install path involves modifying the registry.  You will have to decide if that is something you want to do.  It is always recommended to make a back up the registry prior to making a change.

#4 matthijsstok

matthijsstok
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 16 February 2015 - 12:57 PM

Thank you all! I will change de directory and apply TRIM, I will update my post if everything works correct.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users