Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sever Essential 2012 R2 - Protection s/w recommendation

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mrpcombofix

mrpcombofix

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 15 February 2015 - 02:52 PM

Migrated a client from SBS 2003 to SE2012 R2. The business has <10 client Win 7 machines running security essentials. What anti virus/server protection s/w would you recommend for the server?

Consider it mandatory to purchase security software that also includes end point protection?

The business is not planning to go to Win 8 or newer versions anytime soon. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 16 February 2015 - 06:16 PM

I would recommend either Eset Node 32, or WebRoot, or Bitdefender.

Each has a management interface to administer the client nodes.

#3 mrpcombofix

mrpcombofix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2015 - 02:05 PM

Thanks for your response JohnnyJammer.

I wasn't sure about the need to go with a solution that includes end point protection since the win7 machines were protected with Security essentials. 

Is there any added protection to go with a solution for the server that also includes endpoint management? If so, can you please elaborate or point to some article/document that explains the advantages.

Also, would on-premise be safer than a hosted solution?

Again, thanks for your pointers and appreciate you taking the time to respond.

#4 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2015 - 10:38 PM

Well it depends on what the client needs mate.

If you only have like < 10 machines then i woudl probably just buy 10 copies of Eset or what ever you like as i cant see the need for a mangement server for this.

You shoudl also always have a commercial AV solution instead of relying on MS Security essentials mate.

Im a strong believe of having AV on servers as well.

You can go with cloud solutions like Webroot but the problem with that is, there is no signature stored locally and you have to be connected to the net for it to do anything.

We have Webroot but i will be gettign Eset next time round i think because the scans on webroot are pathetic at best and so many false positives i lost count.

What ever you do just downt go down the Symantec/Norton road mate, you will kick your self if you do.

#5 mrpcombofix

mrpcombofix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2015 - 05:33 PM

Thanks I will look into bitdefender, Kaspersky and Eset and let you know what I settle on.

#6 mrpcombofix

mrpcombofix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2015 - 10:18 AM

Trying out Kaspersky small office security3. 

3 False positives and a handful of windows setting warnings but looks OK so far.

The one warning which I need to decide about is the service timeout being excessive.  Anyone have experience with this?  Should this be changed to 20 as recommended? Why is the windows default risky?

Edited by mrpcombofix, 23 February 2015 - 10:22 AM.

#7 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2015 - 05:59 PM

Kaspersky used to be one of the top 3 in my opinion but the last 2 to 3 years its become overly bloated and way to many false positives.

I was going to get this as well but did some research and contacted a few companies aroudn town we deal with and decided against it.

#8 rlesech

rlesech

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 26 February 2015 - 07:48 PM

Hi All,

I agree with JohnnyJammer about the Kaspersky issues. May try pricing Sophos.

#9 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 27 February 2015 - 11:47 AM

Being a Sophos Partner depending on your region and reseller I can tell you 10+ Sophos Endpoint Advanced (SEP2D3CSAA) licenses will run you 90-100 per computer this includes the Enterprise console. As Far as Antivirus software on a server It should be set to scan and alert and NOT to delete anything. If your network and server are secure it shouldn't get infected anyways.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 27 February 2015 - 11:49 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users