Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows update failed, can't solve problem with external monitor (Samsung RV510)

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 MGHall

MGHall

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 AM

Posted 15 February 2015 - 01:43 PM

Hi All,

So I came home from work to a 'Windows Update has failed... reverting changes' screen. Left it overnight, it got stuck at 'Shutting down', so I rebooted it to find the same 'Windows Update has failed' screen.
Having googled a few solutions, it seems like there's a few ways to circumvent this problem, but they all seem to involve booting in Safe Mode. My problem is that my laptop screen is broken, so I'm forced to use an external monitor, which doesn't display any content which would allow me to boot in safe mode. I've read that Fn+F4 should be able to switch output to my external monitor (it doesn't). 

Here's where it gets interesting. My laptop screen was removed very crudely (read: pulled off), and so the cable which connected the GPU to the screen is still attached to its original position inside the laptop. Is this preventing me from seeing the boot menus on my external monitor?

If not, are there any inventive solutions for me to be able to circumvent this Windows update failure screen? I've read about unattended install discs so I might have to look into that as a last resort,

Thanks! :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users