Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

User Profile service failed the logon

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 harv728

harv728

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 15 February 2015 - 11:37 AM

I have a dell laptop with windows 7 home premium and I got this error message.

I only have one login. Icannot log into safe mode because it is not an option when I use the F8 key.

I got to a command prompt by shutting down midstream, getting to system recovery options and picking command prompt. I used regedit to get to the profilelist key but the only items are s-1-5-18, s-1-5-19, and s-1-5-20. Thre is no key with the longer number to use the fix suggested in the registry editor.

I am not sure if I am in the built in administrator mode.

Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 15 February 2015 - 01:53 PM

The first thing I would try is go back to the Windows recovery enviroment and try a system restore to a point before all this started.

If you are running the command prompt from the Windows recovery environment, you are essentially running it as the (system) administrator. If the user profile is missing from the registry, then that profile has somehow been deleted. You can try creating a user account from the command line and log in with it:

net user "Username" password   -- Spell out the new username and put it in quotes. Create a password  immediately after the username.

net localgroup administrators "Username" -- This will give the new user account admin rights.

Try rebooting and logging in with the new account.

Or you can try logging in as the built in administrator. From the Windows RE command prompt, enter

net user administrator /active:yes

then reboot and try to log in as the administrator.

If you can recover or recreate your user profile as the admin, go back to the command prompt and enter

net user administrator /active:no

then log back in as the user.

#3 harv728

harv728
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 15 February 2015 - 02:57 PM

Unbeleivably it actaully booted into safe mode after I created an admin account and I was able to fix the profile suing the microsoft instructions online.

Thanks, you

#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 15 February 2015 - 03:07 PM

Outstanding. Glad that's resolved. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users