Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wi-Fi problem

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Crunkadelic

Crunkadelic

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 15 February 2015 - 11:27 AM

I have a small but frustrating problem.

The wifi signals on my Dell Latitude D630 laptop completely diminish whenever it's not in the same room as my modem.  I don't have this problem with all of my other laptops and tablets, just this one.  I recently replaced the motherboard cause of a GPU issue. But what could be the problem with the wi-fi? Does it need a new network card?

Edited by Crunkadelic, 15 February 2015 - 11:46 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,628 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 15 February 2015 - 12:28 PM

Hello,

Right click your Wireless Adapter in Device Manager. Select Propterties and under the Details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Copy and post the first line in your next post. If it's an intel wireless card, the drivers can get wonky. The updated driver may help.

#3 Crunkadelic

Crunkadelic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2015 - 03:03 PM

Device Manager shows that I have two connections under Network Adapters; here's the IDs for both of them:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1049&SUBSYS_02321028&REV_03

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_4222&SUBSYS_10208086&REV_02

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,628 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2015 - 03:27 PM

The first is your NIC and the second is your wireless. Sorry, I forgot to ask what your OS is and is it 32bit or 64bit.

#5 Crunkadelic

Crunkadelic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2015 - 04:49 PM

64-bit Win7

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,628 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2015 - 05:01 PM

Go here for the latest driver. The larger download includes the intel wireless software which I would recommend. Wireless_15.3.1_s64.exe

Version: 15.3.1 (Previously released)
Date: 11/15/2012
Size: 77.23 MB
Language: English

I would create a restore point first and if you have not done so yet create a System Repair Disk.

#7 Crunkadelic

Crunkadelic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2015 - 03:41 PM

I installed the driver but it's still having the issue.  The closer it is to the modem (literally) the higher the wi-fi signal; but I step outside the room, the Wi-Fi signals drop lower or get a red x over the bars.

Edited by Crunkadelic, 16 February 2015 - 03:47 PM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,628 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2015 - 06:42 PM

Your wireless card may be going bad. You can try changing the wireless channel on your router to see if that improves the signal. If that does not help you can get a USB wireless dongle like this.

#9 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 16 February 2015 - 07:34 PM

I am assuming before you changed the mother board it was just fine? 

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#10 Crunkadelic

Crunkadelic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2015 - 09:11 PM

Your wireless card may be going bad. You can try changing the wireless channel on your router to see if that improves the signal. If that does not help you can get a USB wireless dongle like this.

I'll try those. Thanks!

I am assuming before you changed the mother board it was just fine? 

Yes it was

#11 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 18 February 2015 - 11:51 AM

Your wifi antenna is usually located behind the screen. Your wifi card is usually under a hatch on the back of the computer or under the keyboard. There are two small cables with very fragile connectors that run from the card up through the hinge to the antennas. My bet is one or both of those cables didn't get reconnected to the card or the connector got mashed when the motherboard was changed. Careful inspection may identify the problem. If you are lucky, just reconnecting the cable may get you going. If the cable or connector are damaged they still cost less than a new WiFi card. The connectors "snap" on and off directly perpendicular to the board - minimize side to side motion. There is a tiny pin or contact in the center of the connector. Make sure it isn't bent before you reattach.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users