Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

100% disk usage

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 BoltsFan760

BoltsFan760

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 15 February 2015 - 10:26 AM

I can not figure out why my HDD is showing 100% usage in the task manager, I am using windows 8.1

I have disabled BITS from the local services as a recommended fix. This has not worked.

I'm not sure if my HDD is failing, too hot, or its something worse. Any help is very much appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,477 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 15 February 2015 - 11:13 AM

I'm confused. How does your hd show 100% usage in task manager?

#3 BoltsFan760

BoltsFan760
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2015 - 11:22 AM

In the task manager window under the tab Disk it says 100%.

Ill try to type/show you

1%      17%      100%   0%

CPU  memory   disk     network

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,477 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2015 - 11:28 AM

Sorry -- you're on W8 and I'm on a W7 system - never even noticed the disk column in Task Manager in W8.

EDIT: Please run full scans with your av and with MalwareBytes as a first step.

Edited by Allan, 15 February 2015 - 02:27 PM.

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,200 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2015 - 01:16 PM

Allan, may I suggest something? :) Bolts, can you disable the SuperFetch and PreFetch services, then restart your computer and let me know if your Disk Usage still spikes at 100%?

http://www.tekrevue.com/tip/disable-superfetch-prefetch-windows-8/

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,477 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2015 - 02:29 PM

Actually Aura, I'm glad you did post. I misread the first post - it's disk usage and not disk space - I edited my post above to reflect the change.

BotlsFan - if it's only after the system initially boots then I agree prefetch is likely causing the disk usage. However, if it continues for a while into the session it could be something else (anything from malware to background defrag or av scans, etc). Does the hd light settle down after a while?

Edited by Allan, 15 February 2015 - 02:30 PM.

#7 BoltsFan760

BoltsFan760
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2015 - 04:00 PM

I Downloaded the program. Here is what it says; I'm not sure what to make of it.

218.1 GB  C:\ on [OS]      217.0 GB     218.1 GB     819,556   39,356     100%                                 2/15/2015

size              allocated      files          folders     % of Parent (allocated)      last change

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,200 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2015 - 04:01 PM

Bolts, please follow my instructions on post #5 and report back :)

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/567113/100-disk-usage/#entry3628792

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#9 BoltsFan760

BoltsFan760
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2015 - 04:05 PM

I am fairly confidant I do not have any type of malware. I run eset security suite, malware bytes premium, and super antispyare premium. Also I use this machine for single player gaming mostly. I basically only visit IGN, NFL, my bank, and occasionally check my email.

I pulled up task mgr and now it is not spiking and/frozen at 100%

BITS is still disabled... Is this something I want disabled? I think it has to do with auto updating windows

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,200 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2015 - 04:07 PM

Bolts, please follow my instructions on post #5 and report back :)

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/567113/100-disk-usage/#entry3628792

unite_blue.png

#11 BoltsFan760

BoltsFan760
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2015 - 04:19 PM

I have disabled both superfetch and prefetch and restarted my PC. Boot time was about the same maybe just a hair longer

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,200 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2015 - 04:20 PM

Alright, and do you still have 100% DIsk Usage in the Task Manager?

unite_blue.png

#13 BoltsFan760

BoltsFan760
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2015 - 04:23 PM

No i do not. It is currently saying 4%.

Just before I disabled the super/prefetch it was not at 100 either. Are these as well as BITS important programs/services?

#14 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,477 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2015 - 04:28 PM

There are a number of functions that depend on BITS. Set it to manual and it will only start when needed. You might want to check Scheduled Tasks to see what is scheduled to run in the background. Also, check your av to see if it is set to run when the system is idle. If it is, that's very likely what is causing the disk activity.

#15 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,200 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2015 - 04:30 PM

I would re-enable BITS (by setting it to manual, like Allan said) then restart your computer to see if the Disk Usage spikes up again. On top of that, I could go in C:\windows\Prefetch, delete everything then re-enable the Prefetch service and let the cache rebuild. Do you have a HDD or a SSD?

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users