Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Won't boot correctly after installing updates.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Chrysta

Chrysta

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 15 February 2015 - 09:48 AM

My sister installed about 16 windows updates (Vista) on her computer. She ended up with the font being messed up (which I see now on the windows forum is a known problem). She couldn't figure out how to fix it other than to restore back to before the updates. Then she started installing the updates in sections. She installed the Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 8. It said that she needed to restart to complete the update so she hit the button to restart. It started to restart and but just sat there for about 8 minutes or so. So she hit the power button to turn it off and then turned it back on. The windows icon appeared and the status bar fully loaded but then it just sat there on a blank screen. We turned it off and on again and it still did the same thing. I tried hitting F12 and it didn't do anything. I hit F2 and it went to options but I have no clue what I should be doing in there, if anything.

So, can you help me? What do I do now? I've posted this on the windows forum but I wanted to try here as well.

Also, I've tried a couple of times to hit F8 to boot in safe mode and it doesn't do anything. I also hit F12 and it brought me to a boot menu. I hit 'diagnostics' and it didn't do anything. I then hit the Fn button and am doing the Pre-boot System Assesment. It did the initial scan and it said nothing was wrong and asked if I wanted to continue with the rest. I clicked yes, but it hasn't finished yet.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,689 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2015 - 10:30 AM

When you tap F8 at boot do can you get to the screen that says "Repair your Computer"? If you an access that, you should be able to do a System Restore.

advanced-boot-options-windows-7.jpg

system-recovery-options-windows-7.jpg

#3 Chrysta

Chrysta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2015 - 11:25 AM

No. I guess I didn't say that completely clearly. I hit F8 and nothing comes up at all. No options.

The Pre boot assesment finished and went to further choices.I'm now running the Dell Diagnostic Utility Partition. I went to the 'symptom tree' and clicked on 'cannot boot the OS'. The specific test is at 40% the overall progress is at 71%. I'm not sure if I should run any other scans when that finishes? After all of that I can try and hit F8 again and see if it does anything.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,689 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2015 - 11:36 AM

Do you have a Vista install disk?  Using an install disk you could do a System Restore. I am not sure there is much you can do without the install disk. Does the computer have any data that needs to be recovered? You can call Dell and ask for an install Disk or use the Recovery Partition if it is still intact to do a Factory Reset but all data and programs installed after purchase would be lost.

#5 Chrysta

Chrysta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2015 - 12:09 PM

Yes. I have a Vista disk. System restore won't me make lose my files, right?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,689 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2015 - 12:15 PM

The only files that would be lost would be anything you put on the desktop since the last restore point. Everything else would be okay. Just make sure it's a Vista install disk and not a Dell Restore Disk. That would take everything back to factory state.

In the third image here, select Repair Computer.

Edit: If the files you want are very important, I would back them up first. You can do this using a small linux distro like Puppy. If you have a computer with Windows 7 you can create a bootable disk that will take you to a Windows 7 like desktop and explorer so you could transfer the files to an exteranal or USB flash drive. Would you like to do this first?

Edited by JohnC_21, 15 February 2015 - 12:17 PM.

#7 Chrysta

Chrysta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2015 - 12:19 PM

The disc I have says Reinstallation DVD Windows Vista Home Premium 32BIT SP1.

As soon as this diagnostic test finishes, I will put the disc in and do the repair. Of course I'll post to tell you how it went.

Thanks for your help!

#8 Chrysta

Chrysta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2015 - 01:29 PM

I put the Vista disc in but it didn't give me the option to boot from the disc. I had to hit F2 and disable and re-enable the cd rom drive. Then I was able to boot from the disk. I hit 'system repair'  cause I figured I might as well try it and it found no problems. I tried to hit 'system restore' but it said the wizard was already open. I couldn't get to the already open wizard, so I restarted again. Instead of booting from the disc it gave me the option to do a startup repair.So I am running that now.

#9 Chrysta

Chrysta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2015 - 02:04 PM

Ok. Startup repair finished and it looks like everything is working well now.

Again, thanks for all your help and quick replies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users