Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to uninstall PLDS Smartpack Utility

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 skypilotpete

skypilotpete

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 15 February 2015 - 01:14 AM

I recently inadvertently installed PLDS SmartPack Utility, which came bundled with an ASUS Xonar audio card driver - downloaded from their official site. I'm usually pretty careful about this sort of thing, but it was included in a way that made it look as if its installer was the installer for the sound card driver. Now I can't find any way of uninstalling it. It has no entry in the Windows program list in Control Panel/Programs and Features. It's entry in Start/All Programs does not include an uninstall option. I have tried Revo Uninstaller (free), but this did not see the program.

I have run Hitman Pro, Malwarebytes, Microsoft Security Essentials, AdwCleaner and Junkware Removal Tool, and none of them identify this program as a PUP. I certainly don't want it, so for me it is a Definately Unwanted Program.

Does anyone know anything about this program? And can someone please tell me what I need to do to get rid of it?

I run Windows 7 64 Home

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 15 February 2015 - 02:40 AM

You should find the uninstaller....

C:\Windows\SmartPack\uninstall.exe" "/C:C:\Program Files\SmartPack\irunin.xml

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 skypilotpete

skypilotpete
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2015 - 05:30 AM

You should find the uninstaller....

C:\Windows\SmartPack\uninstall.exe" "/C:C:\Program Files\SmartPack\irunin.xml

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately there is no C:\Windows\Smartpack folder on my computer. The only SmartPack folder I can find is C:\Program Files (x86)\SmartPack, but it only contains SmartPack.exe. There is no uninstaller.

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,131 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2015 - 06:44 PM

1. Was the audio card driver a success ?

2. Download EVERYTHING , and use it to search your HDD.....it shows in the bottom left hand corner of its window the progress of the search... (quite quick)...When the scan has finished.... type PLDS etc in the top of the search window....it will find any and all instances of the program on your PC.

You could also try the name of the uninstall file as a separate search....(SmartPack\irunin.xml)

To delete any item simply highlight it, right click and choose delete.

It could be a good idea to create a restore point before proceeding...

To create a restore point
  1. Open System by clicking the Start button , right-clicking Computer, and then clicking Properties.
  2. In the left pane, click System protection. ...
  3. Click the System Protection tab, and then click Create.
  4. In the System Protection dialog box, type a description, and then click Create.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#5 skypilotpete

skypilotpete
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2015 - 11:49 PM

I have downloaded and done several searches using EVERYTHING.

Searching for PLDS only finds:

• C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\SmartPack\PLDS SmartPack Utility.lnk
  • C:\Users\UserName\Desktop\PLDS SmartPack Utility.lnk

Searching for SmartPack finds:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Liteon SmartPack\SmartPack.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\SmartPack\SmartPack.exe
  • C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\SmartPack\PLDS SmartPack Utility.lnk
  • D:\My Documents\SmartPack\HL18.exe (related to LiteOn DVD player firmware update)
  • C:\Users\UserName\Desktop\PLDS SmartPack Utility.lnk

On investigating, it appears that the same utility was installed on my computer some months ago when I updated my Liteon DVD player's firmware.

On searching registry using Regedit, the only mentions of SmartPack are in "Folder History", and in a list of Icons kept my Ultramon (a utility I use for managing multiple monitors).

Do you think the absence of entries in registry indicates that this utility is only installed at a very superficial level, that an uninstall utility is not needed, and that the files can safely be deleted?

To make sure I will certainly create a system restore point before I do so, and I also have a Macrium Reflect Image file from not long ago. However, I would also like to understand what is going on here, and whether the absence of an uninstall utility simply means that the type of installation does not require it.

Edited by skypilotpete, 15 February 2015 - 11:53 PM.

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,131 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2015 - 01:05 AM

Do you think the absence of entries in registry indicates that this utility is only installed at a very superficial level, that an uninstall utility is not needed, and that the files can safely be deleted?

I would also like to understand what is going on here, and whether the absence of an uninstall utility simply means that the type of installation does not require it.

I would tend to agree that it is only installed at a superficial level....something like a "portable" version....However....the thorough explanation of this is above my pay grade, and I would have to defer to someone more knowledgeable than myself to explain this..

All i can say is : If this were on my PC, i would take comfort that I have a very recent restore point and I also have a Macrium Reflect image taken quiet recently...SO....I would delete the lot....

.( and I would steer well and truly clear of anything bearing that name....numerous searches give me the distinct feeling that this not the kind of software that I would want on my pc )

GcnI1aH.jpg

#7 Windsorboy

Windsorboy

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 01 December 2016 - 05:04 AM

Hi,

The PLDS Smartpack Utility automatically updates your Lite-On CD/DVD player.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users