Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Install VMware Tools 9.9.0 On Debian 7.4.0 - LXDE X86-64 Guest Of VMware Player

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 14 February 2015 - 08:08 PM

Since installing VMware Player 7.0.0 I've been re-making all my virtual machines. Thought I'd share the steps for installing VMware Tools 9.9.0 on Debian 7.4.0 - LXDE X86-64. Nothing tricky or unusual, but I figure it might come in handy for someone who is new to using VMware Player. As such I've gone over the top in detail, and included lots of pictures that most users will find unneccessay.

You will notice that my host OS is Windows 8, the interface for VMware Player on Windows is slightly different than on Linux so if you are using a Linux host keep that in mind.

Steps:
1. Login as root.
http://i.imgur.com/Cn1o3Pf.png

2. On the panel, open the LXDE menu, go to "Accessories", and click "LXTerminal".
YiZN0Az.png
3. In LXTerminal type "apt-get update".
http://i.imgur.com/2RT4TKj.png

4. In LXTerminal type "apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-$(uname -r)". When prompted type "y" to allow downloading the packages, and press "enter".

Jr5gOit.png
5. You will get a message asking for disc "Debian GNU/Linux 7.4.0 _Wheezy_ - Official amd64 lxde-CD Binary-1 20140208- 13:45" to be inserted into your CD drive. This is the disc you used to install Debian.
k0kLNkQ.png

At the top of VMware Player, right-click on the cd/dvd drive, choose "settings", in settings check the "Connected" box, then click "browse", browse for the ISO, and click "Open".
oWLbJaG.png

Click "OK" to close settings, and load the disc.
t7JAcc2.png

You may get a prompt telling you that "Removable medium is inserted", and asking you what to do; click "cancel".
oVNlP8e.png
6. In LXTerminal press "enter".
mRB0kTk.png
7. In LXterminal type "reboot". Once the computer reboots login as root again. If your VM is setup to boot from the CD drive first then you might want to disconnect it since we're done with the Debian disc.
550kvs7.png
7. In VMware Player go to "Player", "manage" and choose "Install VMware Tools".
iafqUKM.png
8. In Debian, on the panel, open the LXDE menu, go to "Accessories", and click "File Manager".
vGF8Rcr.png
9. In File Manager, click on the VMware Tools ISO. It should be listed in the left column.
ziVwrLP.png
10. In File Manager, right-click on "VMwareTools-9.9.0-2304977.tar.gz", and choose "extract to...".
rZihf4k.png
11. In the extract to dialogue choose "root" from the listing in the left column of the browse dialogue, press "open", and press "Extract".
sK7wcgy.png
12. In File Manager, click "root" on the listing in the left column.
kw7blWu.png
13. In LXTerminal type "/root/vmware-tools-distrib/vmware-install.pl", and press "enter".
xsmL5Xv.png
14. In LXTerminal follow the prompts to install VMware Tools; you should only need to press "enter" a bunch of times, unless you want non-default settings.
1NrTOKS.png

QUW027b.png

A5RtbG7.png
15. In File Manager, right-click on "vmware-tools-distrib" in the "/root" folder, and choose "delete". You will be prompted to confirm; choose "yes". You can now close File Manager.
RqTLp3X.png
16. In LXTerminal type "reboot".
INkDo6w.png
Notes:
- "gcc" should be installed automatically when you install the kernel headers, if not you may need to install it using "apt-get install gcc".
- "binutils" should be installed automatically when you install gcc, if not you may need to install it using "apt-get install binutils".
- "make" should be installed when you install your kernel headers, if not you may need to install it using "apt-get install make".
- If your Debian installation has been setup with a sudoer you can alternatively use that account instead of root and just add "sudo" to the front of the listed commands (eg: "sudo apt-get update", and "sudo apt-get build-essential linux-headers-$(uname -r)"). In addition you will need to avoid saving files to "/root", use your user folder instead.
- If you find that you canno access the VMware Tools disc, because it just keeps displaying the Debian disc, disconnect the CD drive and reboot the virtual machine. You may need to do this more than once.
- When extracting the .tar.gz archive if you cannot get the "extract to" dialogue to open, then reboot. Xarchiver has probably just momentarily forgotten it opens .tar.gz archives (aren't glitches fun :P) but rebooting will make it more co-operative.

Edited by Al1000, 04 February 2017 - 05:48 PM.
Moved from Linux & Unix

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users