Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restore Win7 OS from DriveImage XML

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Rolf5342

Rolf5342

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 14 February 2015 - 06:25 PM

Hello,

I created a backup image of all programs and data and the 64-bit Win7 Pro operating system from my C drive using DriveImage XML v2.5.

When I try to restore from the image that was created, the DriveImage program says it is unable to restore to a drive © that already contains the operating system.

Is there a way to run DriveImage from a boot CD or maybe a Linux installation on the D drive or any place other than the C drive?

If it is possible to boot into some OS that doesn't use the installed Win7 OS, what must I do to launch the DriveImage program? Do I  simply navigate to the DriveImage application and double-click?

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,650 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2015 - 06:50 PM

Hello, and Welcome

You cannot restore a image inside of Windows. Runtime does provide plugins for use in the UBCD4 Windows. You would need a XP install disk in order to create a UBCD4 Windows disk. Runtime also provides a free Live CD based on linux.  You should be able to restore your image using that. Burn the iso file and boot the disk. In Windows 7 right click the iso file and select Burn Disk Image. Your image is on an external drive, correct?

#3 Rolf5342

Rolf5342
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2015 - 07:18 PM

Hello,

Many thanks for your quick reply! :flowers:

Your image is on an external drive, correct?

Yes.

Runtime also provides a free Live CD based on linux.

I had seen that on the Runtime website, but I'm a stranger to Linux. If I burn the ISO file and boot into the Linux OS, will I see a GUI like the Windows Explorer? If not, how do I identify my external drive, and how do I navigate to the stored image? While awaiting your reply, I'll get busy trying the link you provided.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,650 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2015 - 07:26 PM

I have not personally used the Runtime Live CD but your system drive should be labeled sda1 and your external would be sdb1. I would have to burn the disk myself and explore DriveImageXML to give a better answer. Maybe somebody else on the Forum has had experience with the disk. Is there a reason you want to restore the image you created?

Edit: I booted up the Runtime Live CD and it seems Knoppix gives an external USB drive a sdf1 designation instead of sdb1. When you get to the desktop you have to double click Assign drives and give your sdf1 external drive a logical drive letter in order for Drive Image XML to see the external drive as a drive letter.When restoring I believe you do not assign a drive letter to your OS drive that you are restoring the image to but I could be wrong on that.

Edited by JohnC_21, 14 February 2015 - 07:58 PM.

#5 Rolf5342

Rolf5342
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2015 - 10:06 PM

Hi JohnC_21,

Is there a reason you want to restore the image you created?

Yes. The image was made from the C drive on my secondary PC (call it PC-2). I'm communicating to you now from my primary PC (call it PC-1).

PC-2 failed recently after I made the image of its healthy state. I want to revert to the healthy state using the image on my external drive. The failure occurred when I ran software that corrupted the registry. All my data is safe because it is on a second internal physical disk which is partitioned into two logical drives, D and E. I know my data is safe because I can boot the PC-2 machine into Safe Mode and view everything on my C, D, and E drives. I can even see my external disk which connects via USB.

I burned the Runtime Live CD, and booted into Knoppix. When I open DiskImage and select "Restore", I can see all my disks with correct size info listed in the first window, including the external drive which contains the image I want to restore from. Then, I select the C drive and click Next. A "drive restore wizard" opens, but it doesn't allow me to browse to the disk that contains the XML image. Instead, I am allowed to browse only what appears to be the Knoppix environment. It shows C, D, E, F, and Z drives, but they are all very small size and they contain files that appear to belong to the Knoppix system itself. None of the disks show any of the files which are on my Windows environment.

What step am I missing that will allow me to browse to the external drive?

When you get to the desktop you have to double click Assign drives and give your sdf1 external drive a logical drive letter in order for Drive Image XML to see the external drive as a drive letter.

Your comment probably answers my question. I'm trying to understand what you said. I do see the Knoppix desktop, but I don't see a way to assign drive letters.

When restoring I believe you do not assign a drive letter to your OS drive that you are restoring the image to

I think that's correct because I saw a similar comment in the Help file.

Thanks again for your help.

#6 Rolf5342

Rolf5342
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2015 - 10:22 PM

On my PC, the external drive is visible in the Knoppix file viewer as /media/sdd1. In the left hand pane, this drive is shown as 2TB which is the physical size of the disk. That may be label I gave it a while back.

I can right-click on the disk label or on the image file's name, and I can rename either of them, but I don't see any way to assign a letter.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,650 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2015 - 10:54 PM

Double click the Assign Drive icon on the desktop. Highlight your external drive sdd1. Then click the button that if I can remember correctly is next. This will ask you if you want to assign a drive letter to sdd1 of D: which is the default. You would then look for drive letter D: in the Drive Image XML interface.

knoppixdesktop.jpg

Edited by JohnC_21, 14 February 2015 - 10:55 PM.

#8 Rolf5342

Rolf5342
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2015 - 01:06 AM

Assign Drive icon on the desktop

I must need better glasses! 

Ok, I opened the Assign drives tool. It allowed me to assign the default letter "d"  to the partition I want to overwrite. Then I got back into the DiskImage XML program and I realized I had to find the image file by the Linux designation of its drive, \media\sdd1. When I got to the red "Last chance" warning, I clicked OK, but the program froze with no error message. The cursor was unmovable and no keystrokes were effective. I shut down PC-2 for the night.

BTW, The Assign tool says, "Never assign drives which you want to rescue from." I think I read this backwards previously. Instead, now I believe it is necessary to assign a letter to the sick partition which is my original C drive. The source drive gets no letter. The destination which is receiving the over-write does get a letter assignment.

With your help, I got a lot farther than before. I've got to drop this now, and I can't resume until late Monday.

Thanks again for all your help.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,650 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2015 - 08:38 AM

"Never assign drives which you want to rescue from." I took this to mean do not assign a drive letter (mount) to a drive that you would be using their Get Back Data rescue software.

You do need to assign a drive letter to the external drive sdd1. If you do not do that then DriveImage would not be able to find your external drive. The confusion I have is if you need to assign another drive letter to the partition you want to overwrite with the disk image. I would imagine that if DriveImage does not see that partition when it starts you would also need to assign a drive letter to it also.

#10 Rolf5342

Rolf5342
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2015 - 06:13 AM

@JohnC_21

The confusion I have is if you need to assign another drive letter to the partition you want to overwrite with the disk image.

Yes, it is necessary to assign drive letters to both the source and destination.

Note: I am able to boot into the "sick" PC and I do see that all my data on the original D, and E drives is still intact. The image file I am trying to restore is a backup of my original C drive.

Using DriveImage XML v2.50, I did assign letter E to the drive/partition where my recent image file is located and the letter D to the drive/partition that I want to overwrite. I ran the Restore wizard and got to the "Confirm overwrite" window and clicked OK. That spawned the Restore window with "Restore in Progress" showing, but after four hours, the "Restore" window still shows "Retrieving drive layout..." and zero percent in the progress bar.

What important step am I missing?

Separate question: I tried to post a JPG image into this message, but the forum software said I don't have permission to include images with that extension. How does one include a JPG image inline on this forum (not as an attachment)?

Thank you for your help.

#11 Rolf5342

Rolf5342
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2015 - 06:26 AM

I think I found how to include an image.

These are the "Restore" and "Confirm overwrite" windows I see when progress stops.

3245579_original.jpg

#12 Rolf5342

Rolf5342
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2015 - 06:54 AM

@JohnC_21

Well, I got past the hang-up. It was necessary to enter the drive and partition number to be overwritten into the "Confirm overwrite" window. As I'm typing this (on a separate PC), the progress bar is showing 5% and a bit over two hours remaining. This restoration may work after all!

I'll post again later with results.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,650 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2015 - 03:55 PM

Thanks for these updates. This will help other people with the same problem. For future disk and partition images, I would recommend using either Macrium Free or Aoemi Backupper. These will let you restore partitions or the full disk and you also do not need to partition the disk if imaging to a blank drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users