Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System restore disk space usage and using on a 2nd hard drive?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Star_Slight

Star_Slight

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 14 February 2015 - 05:28 PM

Hey there, so I've just been looking at my old desktop PC and i was looking into the system restore settings and seen that 12% of disc space is reserved for restore points. i've changed this 10% now as the PC barely gets any use anyway, will that be ok? (Equates to about 10GB)

I also noticed that my 2nd hard drive was enabled for system restore... However, this drive only has media on it, no programs, no operating system nothing, just music files.  Now my question is, can i use this drive for system restore points even though the OS is not installed on it? The Reason I ask is because i have a lot more free space on this drive...  If not, should I just go ahead and disable monitoring on that drive?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Star_Slight, 14 February 2015 - 05:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,342 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 14 February 2015 - 06:25 PM

First of all yes, 10% is fine. Second, system restore keeps it's files in a hidden folder named "System Volume Information", and there is one of those folders on each drive on which System Restore is enabled. Last, the system restore points for any given drive MUST be stored on that drive.

Personally, I'd suggest disabling system restore completely and using disc imaging software instead.

#3 Star_Slight

Star_Slight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2015 - 04:59 PM

Thanks for the advice, so are you saying system restore points will be generated on the 2nd additional drive even though i have no operating system or programs on it? 

This hard drive was added as an upgrade.

Edited by Star_Slight, 15 February 2015 - 05:00 PM.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,342 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2015 - 05:41 PM

How System Restore Works: https://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/app_system_restore_hss_understand.mspx?mfr=true

Configuring System Restore: https://www.winhelp.us/configure-system-restore-in-windows.html

#5 Star_Slight

Star_Slight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2015 - 09:40 AM

Thanks, i've enabled it on both drives. 10% on primary, 4% on secondary.

It seems pretty pointless having it enabled on the 2nd drive as it is only used for media storage, but I figured using 4% ( approx 5GB) won't do any harm.

Edited by Star_Slight, 02 March 2015 - 10:28 AM.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,342 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2015 - 10:39 AM

If you want to make sure your media files are backed up you want to use something other than system restore. You can use "backup & recovery" software or, my preference, disc imaging software (on a regular basis)

#7 Star_Slight

Star_Slight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2015 - 10:57 AM

Yeah that's true. Thanks

Edited by Star_Slight, 02 March 2015 - 10:59 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users