Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to 'daisychain' my laptop

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tshaq

tshaq

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 14 February 2015 - 04:56 PM

Hello,

New to the forum, but would appreciate any help. First is my equipment:

1) HP EliteBook 8460p (temporary work computer until my new one arrives)
2) 2 Dell S2340M Monitors
3) Belkin DisplayPort to Dual HDMI Adapter
4) 2 VGA to HDMI cable adapters (to feed monitor VGA's into the Belkin)

I'm normally pretty good with this stuff, but I can't get this to work for the life of me. The monitors function normally when I simply plug them in to the laptop through the VGA cable. I have plugged both the monitors into the VGA to HDMI adapters, plugged the HDMI ends into the Belkin, and finally plugged the displayport cable from the Belkin into the displayport on my computer. Fooled around with it for about an hour and a half and can't get the monitors to pick up a feed. They just enter sleep mode (obviously since something is not feeding video in). Does anyone have any thoughts/ideas as to what the issue might be? Really appreciate and welcome any support. Thanks in advance.

TShaq

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,737 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 14 February 2015 - 06:04 PM

I think the problem is with your Belkin adaper / splitter. It either isn't working or you have the wrong one.

If I understand your post correctly, your laptop's output is VGA, which you are feeding into the Belkin splitter; which outputs HDMI which you are feeding to two monitors with a VGA input through a cable adapter. This sounds a terribly messy signal path. Admittedly HDMI hadn't been invented when I worked in the TV trade and as for my own personal knowledge, I probably bought our living room TV from the same shop as Fred Flintstone !

But your signal path just doesn't sound right. If the input to your monitors is VGA, and the output from your laptop is VGA, why the HDMI step in the middle ?  Why not use a VGA splitter and keep it a VGA signal path all the way ?

Chris Cosgrove

#3 tshaq

tshaq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2015 - 07:18 PM

You're 100% right and the VGA path is a cheaper option; however, the infamous 'guy at best buy' told me this would work?

VGA to VGA to x2 VGA would be the path of least resistance.

#4 tshaq

tshaq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2015 - 07:19 PM

My laptops output is VGA, but couldn't it potentially be displayport? In which case this setup should in fact work?

#5 tshaq

tshaq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2015 - 07:21 PM

Do i need to adjust the setting somewhere on my computer to use the displayport as my primary video output instead of the VGA?

#6 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2015 - 08:45 AM

I am going to go out on a limb here and say your setup will not work.  You are trying to create a digital signal where one does not exist originally.  Your VGA output is analog signal DVI DISPLAYPORT HDMI are digital carriers.  But you have no digital output.  Your output is analog. 

So it sounds to me like your trying to make a digital signal where one doesn't exist in the first place.

I may be wrong here as I am no expert in digital and analog connections but I am sure this does not work.

I did a quick search and there ARE converters around but an ADAPTER won't work.  Plus you'd be like shooting a garden hose through a sewer pipe (the signal ratio on VGA is nothing compared to dvi displayport and HDMI.  It will look like crap in other words.

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,737 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 15 February 2015 - 04:58 PM

Thanks to YeahBleeping we now have a technical reason why your present connections aren't working !  I  knew there was something wrong, but I couldn't put my finger on exactly what.

I have since looked up the specs on your laptop and you are correct - it has a 'Displayport'. So I went and looked that up. This appears to be HP's 'Jack-of-all-trades' solution to multiple connection standards, there is an HP information article here -

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02034609

As far as I can see, reading this article, you can have virtually any type of output you want - with the appropriate HP adapter !  But the simplest thing for you to do would be to go back to this infamous 'guy at Best Buy' and say 'No, it didn't work, now please can I have a VGA to 2xVGA splitter !'

Despite the disparaging remarks by YeahBleeping on the subject of analog v digital signals, VGA is capable of giving perfectly good screen displays and at least this way you would have a consistent signal path.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users