Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

making a FRST fxlist for IE11 persistant bad proxy server settings

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 truenexus

truenexus

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 14 February 2015 - 04:41 PM

I've quite a few with same problem. IE 11 in Windows 7 got hit by malware. I believe I cleaned out the malware using tactics of other postings here. I ran the FRST tool and produced no fixlist.txt.

Mod Edit:  Removed lines from FRST, not alllowed/used in this forum - Hamluis.

Whenever I try to run IE11 I see,

The proxy server isn’t responding
Check your proxy settings 127.0.0.1:50293.

Go to Tools > Internet Options > Connections. If you are on a LAN, click “LAN settings”.
Make sure your firewall settings aren’t blocking your web access.
Ask your system administrator for help

I'm unable to manually fix this. I've also tried command line

netsh winsock reset
netsh int ipv4 reset

Is it possible to make a tutorial on this?

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Edited by hamluis, 14 February 2015 - 07:55 PM.
Moved to 'Am I infected?'

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,912 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 14 February 2015 - 10:55 PM

WIN7.. Please Download this file, Click Me
Right-click on winsockfix.bat and click on Run as Administrator.

Edited by boopme, 14 February 2015 - 10:58 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 14 February 2015 - 11:17 PM

Try the following registry fix if the above bat file doesn't fix your problem.

FixProxy

Click it and save it to your desktop.

Double-click it to add the fix to the registry.

Agree to the prompt.

If you still cannot modify proxy settings, restart your computer and try again.

Edited by Phantom010, 14 February 2015 - 11:21 PM.

#4 truenexus

truenexus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 15 February 2015 - 02:41 AM

boopme and Phantom010 thanks so much for the rapid replies!

For better or worse, I was not just going to sit back and wait for help.

Smilefile, donutlead, consumer input, global update, mypc backup, et.al. - I don't know how they invaded, but I think I may be good for now. After I thought I had uninstalled them in Windows Control Panel> Programs and features>  I found folders in the Program Data directory named similar to, {657095DF-DBDB-4B17-8245-B38845C97069}, that had exe and dll files for the same malware. I downloaded and installed Malwarebytes free edition and AdwCleaner which cleaned up more of the same. My only security software is Microsoft Security Essentials. So I'm open to suggestions for a better mouse trap.

Along this road I several times went into Control Panel, click Programs, and then click Turn Windows features Internet Explorer off/on and rebooted. I think I fixed the proxy server settings after I started Internet Explorer 11 with 'Run as administrator' privilege. I opened IE Tools> Internet Options> Connections tab> LANSettings> Proxy server> Advanced button> removed the IP settings and OK'd that. Then clicked Advanced tab> Reset button. Rebooted and Hallelujah IE 11 was working again. I had done that same routine many times with out any cure, because I didn't have Admin privilege, I guess. So, IE 11 acted as a new install of itself and I had to restore my Favorites list.

Again I appreciate everyone's interest and help in this ordeal. I'm not feeling too sure of myself and not so secure now. I'd like to know what to do to prevent this from happening again.

#5 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 15 February 2015 - 07:43 AM

You need to get a antivirus suite from a vendor that's been in the game for a while. http://anti-virus-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users