Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Onboard Realtek Sound no longer working??

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 ZeroPresence

ZeroPresence

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 14 February 2015 - 04:15 PM

Hey guys,

So today I cleaned out my dusty tower and desk (unplugged everything and plugged everything back to the way it was. I do this about every 4-6 months and never have issues). Turned my PC on and no sound was coming through my speakers. The bar in the bottom right, the volume mixer, showed the green bar going up and down indicating that there was sound. Tried the old fashioned unplug and replug method but to no avail. I uninstalled and reinstalled the Realtek drivers, but that didn't work either. I use a USB headset every now and then and that seems to work, although I don't think it correlates to the motherboard (or does it?). Regardless, I've never had problems like this with my OS or motherboard at all. Both are around four years old.

I'm not sure if its a hardware or software issue at this point. Any help would be appreciated. I've been reading threads similar to my issue and none of them have a final solution. People suggest reinstalling Windows but of course that would SUCK. But I guess it's a final option I'd have to consider.

My specs:

Windows 7 Black Edition
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3
Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4GHz
Graphics: Nvidia GTX 780
8 GB Ripjaws
Speakers: Logitech G51 5.1 Surround

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,019 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 14 February 2015 - 04:45 PM

To rule out a hardware issue you can download Puppy linux. Burn the iso and boot. Browse to an MP3 file on your computer and click it. Browsing in Puppy only requires one click to open a folder. Your System drive would be labeled sda1 or sda2 in the lower left. Click once on the icon and a File Manager will open showing your files. If you have a second hard drive with music files, the icon would be labled sdb1.

If your sound is working you should also here a dog bark when the Puppy desktop appears.

#3 ZeroPresence

ZeroPresence
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2015 - 05:17 PM

So I downloaded it (puppy-4.2.1retro-k2.6.21.7-seamonkey) burned it, got all the way through and it said something like "ok, booting the kernal" and just hangs there. Maybe I did something wrong? Downloaded a bad version? I used a DVD +R. 

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,019 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2015 - 05:29 PM

I think you should download tahr-6.0.2_PAE.iso If the disk still does not boot you can use Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive. Select MBR as a partition scheme. Leave everything defautl.  In the dropdown box that shows Freedos select iso image in the dropdown box and click the folder icon to browse to the iso image. Press start. All data on the flash drive will be erased. If that does not work, try Fatdog64 

http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/iso/Fatdog64-631.iso

#5 ZeroPresence

ZeroPresence
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2015 - 05:54 PM

Tahr worked. Got it to run and tested out the music. Heard the woof at boot up and played an MP3 from my harddrive. Good to know it's not a hardware issue at least.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,019 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2015 - 06:22 PM

Make sure your Windows Audio service is started and set to automatic. Can you do a System Restore to a date before the problem? You could also try doing a sfc /scannow at an elevated command prompt. Typing dxdiag in the search box and running that may give you a clue. Microsoft also has a fixit for audio problems.

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/audioplayback

Edited by JohnC_21, 14 February 2015 - 06:23 PM.

#7 ZeroPresence

ZeroPresence
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2015 - 07:44 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm running sfc right now. Ran dxdiag but no problems were detected at all. I also ran the fixit, but that didn't find any issues as well.

I recall making a System Restore a couple years ago but I'm a little unclear what it exactly does besides the restore part. What would it restore? Files only related to the system? Or every file entirely?

Edit: sfc did not find any "integretiy violations"

Edit edit: Totally just looked up my question about system restore. Dates back to this past Wednesday. No big changes made I don't think. I'll go ahead and restore it.

Edited by ZeroPresence, 14 February 2015 - 07:47 PM.

#8 ZeroPresence

ZeroPresence
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2015 - 08:01 PM

Went ahead and did the restore point. Unfornatley, it didn't work. I still have no sound. I did notice in the task bar some device was installing. Not sure if its because I uninstalled and had Windows automatically install the audio device.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,019 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2015 - 08:26 PM

If you right click the Speaker Icon in the system tray look under playback devices. Is Speakers set as default with a green checkmark next to it?

Realtek's HD Manager in Control Panel has different settings depending on the version and what the MB maker supplies. Is there a setting to disable Front Jack Detection?

Is it possible when cleaning the computer you dislodged the wires from the front panel to the MB header?

The only other thing I can think of is to update the HD Audio driver from Realtek here.

64bits Vista, Windows7, Windows8, Windows8.1 Driver only (Executable file) R2.75 2014/5/21 122738k

#10 ZeroPresence

ZeroPresence
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2015 - 08:52 PM

Yes, Speakers is set as default.

The only thing I saw when I looked under Device advanced settings in relation to input jacks was for recording device, and it read "tie up same type of input jacks, ie line-in or microphone, as an input device". That's checked off. I don't think it's been touched by me ever. Theres no way to unclick it either. It's either that or the other option, "seperate all input jacks as independent input devices".

That was my first thought, but I only used compressed air to blow out the dust. I looked real quick (I'll look more closely tomorrow) but from what it looks like nothing was dislodged.

Downloaded and installed the update. Still nothing. Kinda bummed about it, but I'll look again, maybe unplug and replug the wires to the motherboard.

Edited by ZeroPresence, 14 February 2015 - 08:52 PM.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,019 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2015 - 09:25 PM

I am not sure what the problem is. You might want to check this thread for different ways to disable the jack detection. Some drivers have a folder icon to click and others have a small wrench. There was also a post where stereo should be changed to 5.1. I am not sure if the sound going out from the cleaning was a coincidence or not.

#12 ZeroPresence

ZeroPresence
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2015 - 01:09 PM

I changed it to 5.1 and I get sound but its only when on the web and games (but in games only parts of the audio can be heard) and it only channels through the front left and right speakers only. I checked the MB but nothing seems to be unplugged. Not sure where I should go from here. I feel like it's a simple click but we've looked everywhere.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,019 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2015 - 05:59 PM

Are there any yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager? What happens if you pull the front panel wires to the front jack. Do you get sound from the speakers then?  In BIOS make sure your Audio is set to HD if there is a setting for that. I don't know why that would change from cleaning though.

Here is the Gigabyte HD Manager. Maybe installing this driver again would get you the settings shown. That driver should be on your MB support site.

Edited by JohnC_21, 15 February 2015 - 06:08 PM.

#14 ZeroPresence

ZeroPresence
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2015 - 11:28 PM

Nope, no yellow exclamation marks. Kind of a silly question at this point but what do you mean by pull the front panel wires to the front jack?

Downloaded the latest Gigabyte manager and disabled front panel detection. Still nothing. What's weird is when I set the configuration of my speakers to 5.1, I get sound but only on stuff coming from the internet. I have a "gaming" and "music" modes on the controller to my sound system. When I switch the speaker configuration to 7.1 in the manager, and toggle off both gaming and music modes, I can get full sound. As soon as I toggle either modes I get nothing but silence. This only works when audio is being channeled through the web as well.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,019 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2015 - 08:39 AM

I am really out of ideas on this, sorry. Hopefully somebody else on the forum can add their thoughts. I was thinking that if you removed the front panel wires for the earphone and microphone at the MB header it would force disable of front jacks but I doubt that would work now that you disabled them using the Gigabyte driver with no results. And, I am not sure why you can only get sound from only from the internet. Then there is the fact that sound works with Puppy linux outside of the Web and doing a system restore to a date when it did work did not solve the issue either.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users