Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Inspiron grey screen with verticle lines

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 brandonmckinnell

brandonmckinnell

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 14 February 2015 - 04:14 PM

I am Currently work on two dell computers that somehow have the same screen issue. On the first dell computer right when I turn the computer on I get no image only a grey screen with verticle lines. some of the lines are slightly colored. I replaced ram and hard drive and did not fix the problem. I also took the computer apart and checked the screen ribbons and all looks good. On the second computer the computer turns on fine I can see the back ground and use the computer however the screen slowly turns grey and the verticle lines show up. If I click the mouse or keyboard the screen comes back. and then over a 10 second time frame the screen starts to fade and gets the lines. As I was typing this the screen the Dell screen went grey and have pink and yellow verticle lines.

Edited by hamluis, 15 February 2015 - 10:50 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 14 February 2015 - 08:54 PM

Sounds like a graphics card/driver problem [first guess - card]

Are the OS and drivers all current? Have you run any scans? If so, what were the results?

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 15 February 2015 - 11:49 AM

You need to address the computers one at a time, otherwise this will invariably cause confusion.

You need to post the manufacturer and model of both computer.  At this point we don't know whether these are laptops or desktops.

I can see that this topic has been moved from the Windows 7 forum, are both of these running Windows 7?

In the interim, boot into Safe Mode to see if the problem persists.  Safe Mode uses a native Windows graphic driver, if there is a problem with the normal graphics driver this problem should not persist in Safe Mode.  

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 brandonmckinnell

brandonmckinnell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2015 - 12:14 PM

I will stick with diagnosing just one of the computers to cut an confusion. It is a windows 7 64 bit Dell Laptop. Model is a Inspiron 1545. I have started into safe mode and found the problem still happens. I also saw she was using the " Bubbles" screensaver so I turned that off and the problem is still happening. Sometimes I done see it for a long time while using the computer but once it starts I  can touch the mouse and it goes away but within 10 seconds the screen fades to grey with lines. I can touch the mouse it goes away and then again about 10 seconds later it starts. I have ran a full PC DOCTOR scan and it found nothing. I am going to try using an external monitor and see what happens.

Edited by brandonmckinnell, 15 February 2015 - 12:14 PM.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2015 - 12:50 PM

Let us know what you find with the external monitor.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 brandonmckinnell

brandonmckinnell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2015 - 02:23 PM

Well wouldn't you know It ive had the computer on for a couple hours and have no seeing the grey screen. I also just ran another PC doctor test on the graphics card and Thermal Cycle Test failed and Shader Rendering Failed. Everything else passed fine.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2015 - 02:35 PM

Did you try the monitor to be sure that there isn't a problem with the laptop display?

#8 brandonmckinnell

brandonmckinnell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2015 - 05:33 PM

I went through an updated all the drivers haven't seen the problem once since. Fingers crossed this was the fix. Now my main concern is the other computer in my original post that does this right when it turns on. If I plug it into a monitor and don't even get signal to the monitor.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users