Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

intermittent keyboard

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 scooby5050

scooby5050

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 14 February 2015 - 10:54 AM

I was given this computer to have as a dedicated computer for CNC use. I found that when I am on some internet sights the keyboard works intermittently. For example if I try to type the word "Windows" it will type wnos and the backspace key will not always work. Other times all the keys work and depending on what site I am on the keys are goofy, it is working fine on this site.

This is a Toshiba M305D running Windows Vista. The keyboard and mouse drivers are up to date. I read that sometimes the mouse can cause this problem but I have a new mouse and I have tried 2 mice on this. Help!

Also, this is a very nice computer but has a ton of factory installed programs, since I am going to use this for CNC I want to remove a lot of programs, how do I know what to remove without compromising it's performance.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 mralias518

mralias518

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2015 - 02:53 PM

I was given this computer to have as a dedicated computer for CNC use. I found that when I am on some internet sights the keyboard works intermittently. For example if I try to type the word "Windows" it will type wnos and the backspace key will not always work. Other times all the keys work and depending on what site I am on the keys are goofy, it is working fine on this site.

This is a Toshiba M305D running Windows Vista. The keyboard and mouse drivers are up to date. I read that sometimes the mouse can cause this problem but I have a new mouse and I have tried 2 mice on this. Help!

Also, this is a very nice computer but has a ton of factory installed programs, since I am going to use this for CNC I want to remove a lot of programs, how do I know what to remove without compromising it's performance.

Thanks

1. What is CNC?

2. I suspect the keyboard is on its way out.  You can get a replacement on ebay for about $20 and they are not hard to replace yourself. Plenty of youtube vids on how to do it.

3. A virus or trojan can make your key board do strange things but I am pretty sure it just needs replacement. 

4, As far as your last question the short answer is you don't know. However, most computers are loaded with bloatware and can slow a system down. Unless you know what you are uninstalling you should not attempt to do so. Which is why I always start with just the operating system as a fresh install to prevent all the added stuff not needed. Unless you have the software you are sort of stuck with what they loaded. 

Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca & Windows 8.1 Dual Boot.

Dell E6410 i5 7.60518 Gib of ram

#3 scooby5050

scooby5050
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2015 - 07:08 PM

I am going to use it for Computer Numerical Controlled software for woodworking. So far I have found it only acts up on one site - eBay, all other sites so far work fine. I took it with me on a trip and found that computer does not like eBay. I have not tried too many sites yet. I have ran AVG, Malware Bytes, CCleaner and all is good. I will try a new keyboard but seems strange it's only one site.

For #4 that's what I thought but was hoping to free up memory and get more speed, the graphics seem a little slow.

Thanks for the reply.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,965 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 16 February 2015 - 08:01 PM

Without knowing exactly what is installed on your computer it is difficult to prescribe what can safely be removed !  It is easier to say what shouldn't be !

You need your Windows applications, CNC software, security, networking software, printer software, probably some sort of Office suite whether it is MS Office or another, and anything else you are attached to.

You can safely uninstall any games packages and any Toshiba help packages. However none of this in itself will free up memory and will only improve the performance of your computer if the hard drive is virtually full. The only way to free up memory is to stop unnecessary services and applications from running.

If you click on 'Start' then RIGHT click on 'Computer' you will see an entry in a small menu 'Manage'. If you click on this, in the window that appears, near the bottom you will see 'Services'. Double clicking on this will open a window showing the computer services and how and when they start. It is easiest if you maximise this window. you want to look at the items which are set to start automatically. Many of these are needed to start this way, but equally many don't. If you click on an item you will see a description pop up which says how important something is. In general - if it is needed to let something else run, don't change it.

It may be possible for you to add more memory to the computer. This is one of the easiest ways to improve performance.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users