Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hdd Space Dissapered

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 blahson100

blahson100

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 26 June 2006 - 03:15 PM

I just bought a 50 dollar comp just to replace my old one, and to soup it up a bit. So i take my old hdd and pop it in the new comp. I boot into windows, go into my computer, and drive e: with what should be 12gb, has 2gb. I the tried format in both dos boot AND windows, but still, 2gb. Anyone know how to solve this. Thanks in advance..
:thumbsup: Blahson :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 26 June 2006 - 03:44 PM

it could be that your motherboard is not capable of dseeing a 12 gig drive. it may have a bios update that could help it, but i wouldnt do one on an old board if i really wanted to see it. does your bios see it as a 12 or 2 gig drive? what os you use? what file system? fat 16? fat 32? what are the jumpers set as?
Google...Google.....browse..read

#3 dannyboy 950

dannyboy 950

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2006 - 04:20 PM

I have to agree with Snapper this looks like a bios not being able to recognise the drive. You may try going in bios and see if you can make it refind the drive or manually update the drive. BE WARNED that can be risky the manually adding in the parremiters if you aren't sure the board architecture can support it.

#4 blahson100

blahson100
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2006 - 05:40 PM

I recently (after 1st post) did some snooping, and I found out that it is reading a a 12gig, but 10gigs are "unallocated"...what is unallocated, and how do i fix it?
Thanks in advance....
:thumbsup: :flowers: Blahson :inlove: :trumpet:

#5 Daniel3679

Daniel3679

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 26 June 2006 - 06:54 PM

thats to do with partitions what operating system are you using

if you are using 9x follow this you will need a boot disk and beware THIS WILL WIPE EVERYTHING ON YOUR HARD DISK DRIVE SO MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A OPERATING SYSTEM SETUP DISK WITH PRODUCT KEY HANDY

Firstly go into the bios and set the floppy disk to boot first

Insert a DOS/Windows bootable floppy disk into the floppy disk drive. Reset the computer and allow it to boot up to a DOS prompt.

then using the keyboared navigate to the START COMPUTER WITHOUOT CD-ROM SUPPORT tab and press enter

The computer should be displaying the prompt "A:". This means that the computer is looking at the A drive, that is the floppy disk.

Type the command "FDISK" and press enter. Let me again warn you that this innocuous looking program is very powerful and will destroy any information previously held on the hard drive. Be very care what you do with this program. this may now ask you if you want to enable large disk support type Y and press enter

when the menu comes up choose option 3 (The Delete DOS Partition Or Logical DOS Drive)

press 1 and press enter then the drive information shall be displayed press 1 and press enter you now may need to press enter again (it may warn you that all data will be lost)

Enter the Volume Label for the partition as displayed on the table (just press ENTER if the label is blank).

Confirm the choice when asked "Are you sure?" by pressing Y and ENTER.

Press ESC to return to the main menu

At the main menu choose option 1. The "Create DOS Partition" screen will then be displayed

Choose option 1 "Create Primary DOS Partition". Fdisk will verify the hard drives integrity and ask if you want to use the maximum avalible size for a primary dos partiton press Y and then enter

The computer will verify the hard disk integrity again. On completion press ESC to exit each FDISK menu and return to the A:\> prompt.

Power off the computer.

the computer is now ready to be formated

hope i have been of help

if any one has any advances on that please correct me

:thumbsup:
Dan - If its not broken dont fix it

Posted Image

#6 nforce

nforce

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 26 June 2006 - 10:47 PM

I know there are programs out there that can do this without you having to wipe everything, but I haven't really needed to ever do it so I don't know which programs. But the wiping everything way will work too. I know the Mandrivia Linux 10 install disks will do it for you but not too many people have those ready to whip out of their back pocket, ready partiton some hdd space....exept for me. That linux was made so you could have a dual boot of windows and linux, so it has a tool to resize and format hdd space however you want. Good luck

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 26 June 2006 - 11:39 PM

I belive you can use Partition Magic to do this. You can download it here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 27 June 2006 - 01:36 PM

The mentioned download site no longer works. Digital Dolly can resize partitions while preserving files. Its available as an ISO image of a CD and must be burned using Roxio, Nero or the free CDBurnerXP for XP systems. Using it isn't as easy as Partition magic but it will get the job done. Keep the CD loaded and reboot your system - it will boot automatically and run.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users