Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No bootable device--Please restart system

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 chusta

chusta

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 14 February 2015 - 08:52 AM

hi

i have i toshiba laptop that i have just installed it with a new harddrive but nw the machine cannot recognise my new HDD,but when i place the same HDD in anouther machine it is working properly what can i do guys to fix this,win7 os

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,486 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany

Posted 14 February 2015 - 09:17 AM

you cant install a hard drive from another computer that has an OS already loaded, it wont work, unless the two computers are identical as in make and model, and all hardware components are the same,

#3 chusta

chusta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2015 - 10:19 AM

so what can i do,can i buy a new motherboard because i can't find a boot mode on setup utility.

#4 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,486 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany

Posted 14 February 2015 - 10:37 AM

you need to load windows with the drive in the computer it is intended to stay in

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 14 February 2015 - 11:00 AM

you cant install a hard drive from another computer that has an OS already loaded, it wont work, unless the two computers are identical as in make and model, and all hardware components are the same,

That is partially correct.  It isn't the computer which has to be identical, it's the motherboard.  The motherboard has identifiers which are recognized by the operating system when it starts.  If you install a hdd from another computer where the operating system was installed the operating system will see the new identifiers and will basically become confused.  In a lot of cases this will have an immediate effect on the operating system and it will not boot.  In some cases you may not notice any effects immediately, but will see the operating system begin to have problems which will lead to it no longer booting.

As of Windows 7 there is a solution for this which works well, but it must be done before you install it in another computer and power it up.

If you run sysprep on the hdd with Windows 7 or 8.1 before using it with another motherboard you should be be able to boot from it without any complications. You want to remove all hardware identifiers from the hdd, this generalizes the drive.

Click on the Start orb, then type cmd in the Search box.

cmd will appear under Programs above the search box, right click on it and choose Run as administrator.

This will open the Elevated Command Prompt.

In the Elevated Command Prompt type in CD C:\Windows\System32\Sysprep, then 
use the command: "sysprep /generalize /oobe /shutdown"
Don't power the drive back on until it's in the other computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users