Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

switch

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 trevorcork

trevorcork

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 14 February 2015 - 08:17 AM

sorry now if im in the wrong section,i recently got a job as a junior technician,since then the senior tech has moved to a new job but i am trying to learn and build myself up within this company,there is a job coming up 11 new pcs going into a company and they want a switch as apose to a server,how can i set all these up on a switch etc

Edited by hamluis, 14 February 2015 - 10:29 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Networking - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 14 February 2015 - 10:17 PM

First take a serious look at where you're working.  From your brief description you may not want to continue working at this company.

Second you seem to be in over your head for the task you have been assigned, part of what lead to the previous paragraph.

It is impossible to answer your question without more information. 

What is the current networking configuration for the company?  The answer to this question will lead you on what needs to be done.

Do the machines require Internet access?

Is there a server or router on the network that is handling DHCP?

How will these machine interact?

Do they need access to other existing equipment or will more equipment be added later?

#3 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 18 February 2015 - 01:45 PM

I have to agree with Kilroy on this one, you've been thrown to the wolves. Your question is kind of like "how do I move turnips with a plate of spaghetti instead of a blue shirt". Switches and servers do different things different ways. It sounds like they are asking you to set up a Peer network as opposed to a Server based one, but without vastly more information you are doomed to fail. Run fast, run far, find someone to work with who is willing and able to mentor you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users